Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Monday, January 17, 2011

A Run For My Money

Starting the week after Christmas I began the search on Craigslist for a treadmill. I've wanted one for awhile for those freezing and/or snowy mornings when leaving the house to go for a run just seems like a really undesirable thing to do. I mean, when the thermometer reads "1" the motivation plummets and my cozy bed wins out every time. I had some birthday money to use, so it seemed the time to buy one. But I didn't have a lot of birthday money, not a lot at all, and I have made us a pretty tight 2011 budget to get rid of our debt. No, my new treadmill could not be a pricey treadmill.

As I looked, I was plagued by disappointment. Not surprisingly, because I have felt for a long time that listings on Craigslist are mostly huge ripoffs, people seem to think that used treadmills should cost only $20 less than they cost when they were purchased new. On the rare occasion that one would pop up in the reasonable range, I quickly discovered that I was not the only one seeking a reasonably priced treadmill. I was never the first to contact the seller, even if it had only been a couple of hours since the posting. OR if one that I could afford was actually still available when I contacted the seller, I would search the internet for reviews on the treadmill in question and I would discover why it was still available..."breaksdown," "cheap parts," "bad brand," and so on, so I let those go. I was so diligent! But then I got desperate.

This weekend I discovered a few in my price range. I made some phone calls, but no, they were all taken. Except for the last one. And it was close to home, even better! So I drove myself over to take a look and give it a little practice run. It was definitely ghetto, a little loud, but that was OK. For my price range I knew I wasn't going to be buying a "high performance" treadmill. Bottom line: It satisfied the basics. It functioned, it had an incline, it folded up for storage, it's top speed was fast enough, and it seemed like it would do the job. So I bought it on the spot. Oh, I am dumb! Yikes! Later in the night, when I was home and had a few moments for my brain to settle into the quiet of the evening, I realized that I had forgotten to do my search for treadmill reviews on this particular model. I kid you not, the very first review I read said, word for word, "If you find one of these for sale on Craigslist, DO NOT BUY IT." Sweet. Too late for that! I felt a little sick to my stomach.

BUT I had a good 3 mile run this morning on the DO NOT BUY IT treadmill. It's still loud, but it does work. As long as I don't pay attention to the fact that the speed monitor doesn't stay constant, rather, it fluctuates .5 up and down. I don't know what that means. I've never run on a treadmill that didn't stay put at one speed! Although I think it WAS staying put at speed; I didn't notice the actual machine slowing or speeding up, it was just some quirk on the monitor. So it might just mean that the pace per mile will be off a bit. Fun! What's a cheap treadmill without its quirks, am I right?

I finally made myself feel better by telling myself that as long as it works well for 2 months it will have been cheaper than 2 months of membership at the Y. But I sure hope it lasts longer than that! One day I will be able to afford a $2,000 Nordic Track treadmill, but for now I have my DO NOT BUY IT treadmill and I sure hope it gives me a run for my money!

**Who am I kidding, I probably will never be able to afford a $2,000 treadmill.**

7 comments:

ashley said...

oh no! good story, but I'm sorry about the treadmill...you never know, it may me one of those junkers that ultimately surprises you and lasts a long time!

The Siple Family said...

Good luck hot momma!

runningfan said...

run, baby, run!

Alissa Maxwell said...

Okay, this may sound really stalker-ish, but I have seen pictures of Heidi's treadmill on her blog - the one with the laundry on it. I'm guessing she won't be doing much running this winter... borrow or rent from a friend and re-sell loud treadmill on CraigsList??

Alea said...

Sweet ride Colleen!

Jen said...

Alissa I really like you. We have much in common.

Go Colleen. I have only run ion a treadmill and am now trying to get up the guts to run outside. I am such a weather wimp.

Candace said...

:).