Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Note To Myself on Getting Luke to Eat Dinner

Dear Future Colleen Who Has Forgotten This Lesson for Some Reason and Needs Reminding,

The best way to get your picky, stubborn, but very darling Luke to eat the random foods you cook for dinner is to make him a peanut butter sandwich for dinner, not just once or twice, but day after day after day after day. Do not even offer him "real" dinner, just assume he's not going to eat it. Make the sandwich. Trust me. Two nights ago you made spicy Thai peanut noodles with tofu, and a peanut butter sandwich for Luke. What did he eat? Spicy Thai peanut noodles with tofu. Last night you made chicken taquitos with guacamole, and a peanut butter sandwich for Luke. What did he eat? AN ENTIRE CHICKEN TAQUITO! These were his words, "Mom! I like that. I want that." You were very nonchalant, very casual, as you handed him a taquito, but inside you were doing the Balki Bartokomus Dance of Joy. Need proof?Are you reminded now? Good. Follow directions accordingly.

Yours, as ever,
The Slightly Shocked but Very Happy Colleen Of Today

8 comments:

runningfan said...

Excellent strategy! I love it!

Jen said...

That is awesome. I wish that worked with Max. Maybe when he is a bit older too. So then who eats the sandwich?

Rachel Elaine said...

I thought the reason you said to keep making peanut butter sandwiches and nothing else was that when pb was all he ate for long enough, anything else tasted good.
But whatever the reason, yay for Luke! I know it's been a long, hard road.

Diana said...

I love this--isn't it funny how as moms we need reminders like this. I need them too.

Alissa Maxwell said...

I needed you to post this a few hours earlier. I should learn not to expect an "easy" dinner by making something my kid has loved in the past. 45 minute battle over spaghetti - urgh.

Trinette McCrary said...

That's just about the funniest thing EVER! Trying to figure out what works for our children is a TALENT!

Candace said...

YEA! I love it! Would he recognize that it's the same peanut butter sandwich all week? :0

Candace said...

Just so you know, I read this today to some of my Ed. cohorts, and they thought it was wonderful!