Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Fall, Y'all!

Up until Monday I thought the first day of fall was Thursday, the 23rd. Then I was online and this one site said it was WEDNESDAY, the 22nd. Yes, if Autumn is your favorite season and you eagerly anticipate its arrival and mark it with celebration, as we do, you may be confused too, as our news channel was saying that the 23rd is the first day of fall. But they were wrong. The 23rd is the first day of fall in Greenwich, England, but for the U.S. (because our time is behind England's), in the Mountain Time Zone where we, the Chaos, live, well, believe it or not, the first day of fall was the 22nd! I know, strange, right? I was surprised too. But the explanation is interesting. Go ahead. Look it up! OR maybe you knew it already and it was just me. :)

Well, the discovery that our Thursday plans for our family's annual tradition of Fall Feast were a day late just wouldn't do. So without complaint we moved the party up a day! Pot roast, fresh baked bread (thank you, Albertson's hot and fresh-baked French bread loaves!), apple cider and homemade pumpkin pie a day earlier than planned? You can see why we weren't so sad.

It was a perfect first day of fall here in The Springs. Summer will be back tomorrow, and it was here yesterday, with our temperatures in the low 80's, but today...it rained! It was cloudy and gray and cool and BEEEEAUTIFUL! I was so happy.

Luke helped me get the roast ready. He loved the shapes of the fingerling potatoes. This one was his favorite. It looked like a person! But it was a little disturbing when he said I had to cut its head off to stick it in the pot. So I just left it whole.
Isn't it gorgeous?!
This is the biggest reason I love Fall Feast...a family tradition all our own that makes us feel that special family feeling. The kids love it too! After arriving home from school they were drooling over the smells of the cooking food and desperate to give the feast a try. "Just a little taste, pllllleeeease, Mom!" I think all three of the big boys at one point in the afternoon said, "I love Fall Feast!" I am going to have to get a bigger roast next year. There were hardly any leftovers...BOO!
Three cheers for Fall Feast!
Oh yeah, that was one go-ood pumpkin pie! The crust was so buttery and fresh. Mmmm.... So if you didn't find the information about the autumnal equinox as fascinating as I did, maybe you will find this little tidbit of information useful. There is NO canned pumpkin at the grocery store. I make my pies from scratch, but I usually buy Libby's pumpkin puree instead of roasting and pureeing my own (I've got a right to make life a bit easier from time to time, don't I?!). But alas, last year with the wet spring and hot summer weather, followed by early frosts ruined much of the sugar pie pumpkin crop. So Libby's is holding out to release cans close to Thanksgiving when it is in highest demand. Crazy, right? I just hope I get some! I'd hate not having pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. It just wouldn't be right! I might have to {gasp} actually puree my own. Nooooo!!!! Fortunately I had one small can of pumpkin in the back of my pantry to make the pie today. When I found it I felt like I had discovered America. It saved the day!
Tommy liked the pie as much as the rest of us did. All day long I was flashing back to our Fall Feast last year, when I had to cook the roast in the garage because any smell, even a good one, is too much for me when I'm pregnant and I wouldn't have been able to eat it after smelling it all the livelong day. Pregnant. It's strange to think that our dear Tommy was still a belly baby bump at this time last year. It feels like he's been a part of our lives always. But at the same time, can it have been almost an entire year already? Didn't we just do Fall Feast?! Time is such a bizarre thing. Isn't it?

Fall Feast was followed up by Fall Feast clean-up which always requires a re-washing of the table cloth (someone spills apple cider every year) and the cleansing of a massive pile of dinner dishes and debris. The kids rolled upstairs, bellies warm and full, and I only had to remind Ben he wasn't Lord of the Tub once. They were tucked in and snoring the snores of the happily full by 8:30. It was a great first day of autumn for the Chaos. We hope it's a great fall for all!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Happy fall. I was thinking about you and your feast. I actually have two big cans of pumpkin in my pantry from last year. Having morning sickness I never got around to making pie or anything. Guess I will have to use them wisely and guard them. :)

Team Sax said...

this is a great idea!! I would love to have a fall feast. maybe we will make one next week (it's still in the 90's here) and call it a Happy October feast! Yum yum! Pot roast and fresh bread sound just right.

Angie said...

what an absolutely fantastic tradition! I can smell the food from here.

Candace said...

Yummy as always, and the pictures are beautiful! Can we have another (still-find-of-the-beginning-of) fall dinner when I'm there???

ashley said...

I had heard that about the pumpkin...someone said they don't have it at Trader Joes's either. Not good since we make pumpkin muffins at least once a week. Love the feast too. Fall is such a gorgeous time of year. The food, the leaves, the crisp air. I love it.

maynardmoments said...

The feast looks so yummy! I LOVE LOVE LOVE FALL!!!! Hooray! Glad to know I am not alone in this.