It's a great program. There are three weeks of twice weekly practices. Then there are three races over three weeks, one race a week, which cuts the practices down to one per week. The slogan for the program is "every finisher a winner." The kids are encouraged to race against themselves, trying to do better every week than they did the week before. When they publish the results, it is all alphabetical, not by finish time. I really love that philosophy for these little ones of ours. It keeps the kids running and enjoying themselves. And as parents, Adam and I encourage the kids along these same lines. But of course, especially for Ben, who is so quick it amazes us, we keep track of all the official stats in secret. :) So here they are:
Ben chose to run the 1.5 mile race, the longest option, all three weeks. The first race he ran in 13 mintues, 21 seconds. Only 4 2nd graders total ran the 1.5 mile that week, the rest of the 34 runners were 3rd-5th graders. He was almost 12 minutes ahead of the next 2nd grader. He came in 5th overall and all the kids that beat him were 4th and 5th graders. The official time from the first race was a little questionable, since in the second race, Ben ran the 1.5 miles in 9 minutes 51 seconds (a 3+ minute improvement, but without much change to his placement). But WOW! That's just a little under a six-and-a-half minute mile! He was 8th out of 31 runners. This time only one other 2nd grader ran the 1.5 mile race. It was his good buddy, Luke, who was only 1/2 second behind him. It was fun seeing them stick together. The third race Ben finished in 10 minutes, 8 seconds, coming in 6th out of 43 runners, again only beat by 4th and 5th graders. He's heading to the citywide 1.5 mile race next Monday night. It should be a fun evening! He's really excited. He just loves it. We are so proud of him!
4 comments:
Gorgeous sunset! And I'm pretty sure Ben could beat me with his 6 minute mile!
I am sooo impressed with Ben and Josh!! YEA!!!!
I'm glad it was a good season! I hope at least one of my children ends up a runner, but so far, no luck.
I am so jealous of this program. I think Hannah would love it. Washington has nothing like this at the elementary level.
Post a Comment