Ben has been eager to be baptized for so long. When I asked him why he was so excited to be baptized he replied, "Because it's the right thing to do, just like Jesus did, and will bring me closer to Jesus. And it makes it so I can live with Heavenly Father again." His heart has such a purity and a fire of faith that I hope he can keep as the trials of life bombard him and the ease of child-like faith becomes (for better and for worse) more complicated as he matures.
Saturday, September 4th, the long-awaited baptism day had finally arrived, and Ben was so happy. A giant smile was across his face all day. He knew the day was special. He could feel the bliss of it inside. He was blessed to have BOTH sets of grandparents fly in for his special day; it was truly a gift to have them here to support him and his wonderful choice. We walked over to the church in the early hours of the morning, all but Nicolle, Luke and I, who drove, and Ben, who ran! At the church, we also met up friends from our ward and other wards around us, and with our cousins, the Ropers, who drove over from Falcon to spend the day with us.
Ben was able to share his day with his friend Erica who had turned 8 just a day after Ben and was also going to be baptized. Grandma Nicolle gave a fabulous lesson on baptism before the two were baptized, talking about all that it meant to be baptized. We take Jesus name upon us and promise to remember Him in all we do, we are forever part of His church, we do our best to be like him and when we make mistakes we change our hearts and repent. After Ben and Erica were baptized, my mom, Erica's mom, Suzanne, and I sang "I Feel My Savior's Love." Then Erica's uncle gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. He talked about having Him as a constant companion, that He can give us comfort, guide us, teach us, warn us, encourage us and be near to us at all times. Then the kids were confirmed, and given the Gift of the Holy Ghost as well as beautiful blessings by their fathers.
What a wonderful morning! The Spirit was so strong and I felt so deeply the goodness of Ben's choice and the pleasure of our Father in Heaven.









We went back to our house afterward and had some time to play and talk, as well as a delicious brunch with our family, the four grandparents and the Ropers. Afterward I made what the kids ended up calling "Baptism Dessert." A childhood friend of mine, Cailean, who is now a blog buddy, recently posted on
her blog the idea for a fun dessert she and her kids put together for her daughter's baptism. Her idea was inspired by
this post on Bakerella (that I will also have to make at some point because it looks so tasty). I'm sure glad Cailean had an 8-year-old just before me, because I loved this dessert idea! Cailean also gave us the idea for Ben's main birthday gift from Adam and I which will be seen in a later post. Thanks for sharing your creativity with me, Cailean!
The bowl is made of white chocolate made by dipping a small balloon into melted chips. I also made coconut iced cream from scratch and topped it with shiny white sprinkles and whipped cream. It was delicious and perfectly fitting for a baptism day.


Ben also received his own set of nice leather-bound scriptures from Grandma Nicolle and Grandpa Dan with his name engraved on the cover. He loves them! Sunday morning Ben told me that before shutting out the light on Saturday night, he and Zach decided to read scriptures together. Oh how that makes me squishy inside!

Congratulations, Ben! Dad and I are so proud of your choice to follow the example of our Savior and be baptized. The significance of your baptism, that testifies to our Father and to all the world that you choose to follow Christ, as well as the firm and secure foundation your baptism provides for your lifetime spiritual journey of faith will be a blessing to you every day. The Holy Ghost will be an ever-present friend, who will guide you and direct you and bring you peace whenever you seek Him, and even when you don't. Listen. Feel. Be open. And continue to choose the right, that which brings such joy to your heart.
9 comments:
Congratulations! What a wonderful day. You have such awesome and supportive parents, Colleen. What a blessing! That coconut ice cream is right up my alley!!!
That is fantastic! We also give scriptures when our kids turn 8. What a great day for Ben, and for your family!
that dessert looks amazing!! what a great day.
Awesome day. Wish we could have shared it with you all. I think I know what the birthday gift was. I saw it on her blog and immediately thought of Ben. Looks like such a great day. Congrats to Ben. We love you guys.
what a lovely day! I could feel the spirit just reading your post. Ben looks so happy and at peace. I also love those desserts. I might have to steal that idea next year when Rachel gets baptized!
It was such a pleasure to be there for this special day, and to participate. Congratulations once more for your wonderful spirit, Ben!
yay ben!!
Congratulations to your sweet son on his very special day! It's such a spiritual experience for everyone involved but as a parent it's just WOW. I'm so glad the dessert worked out for you - yours look MUCH more amazing than mine! It's fun, huh! I love the example of pure and sincere and unabashedly open love you have for your kids!
What a beautiful post and even more beautiful day! Congratulations to all of you, Colleen. Just gorgeous.
Post a Comment