Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Saturday, September 25, 2010

A House Full of Boys

When you have a house full of boys you are constantly stepping on things such as these:You find paper airplanes here, there and everywhere:
And when they get to be too many, your "fancy" formal living room might just have a hidden secret, like a storage table full of them:You have bowls full of "special" rocks that have been found outside and given, oh so seriously, as priceless gifts to you:
The higher shelves on your bookcases, that were once reserved just for books and decorative knick-knacks, are now also home to wooden swords, foam swords and plastic lightsabers that are in "time out" for being used against one brother or another in a not-for-fun way:
Your lovely display bowl of intricately carved decorative wooden balls is "enhanced" by a Bakugan Mega, which you insanely think kind of works:
Forts will spring up, like weeds in the garden, fast and all-consuming, for playing in, for reading in, for building and then leaving unattended for hours (but don't you dare try to clean it up!): And sports items such as these are discarded throughout the house at all times, usually right in front of doors to be tripped on, stepped on (cleats hurt!), and shifted around so you can open and close said doors:I don't have to worry about finding the missing Polly Pocket shoe, watching out for tiny barrettes that Tommy could choke on, or discovering half-dressed dollies lounging on the living room couch. But there are a million wonderfully annoying little things about living with a house full of boys (I spared you the photo of the pee that never fails to find its way ONto the toilet seat), and these are just a few of them that always make me roll my eyes and then bring a smile when I discover them. Toys under feet, random displays of boyish decoration, the gift of a rock...I know I will miss them terribly one day, when all my boys have {hopefully} moved on to lives of their own, as they should.

I wouldn't trade these days for anything. Well, maybe the pee on the toilet seat....

5 comments:

Jen said...

I get many of these things from Hannah and the crayons, papers, pens, little people, play food, etc...My house looks like a tornado of toys at the end of the day. But just the same I love it.

Candace said...

I just love it, esp. the Bakugan Mega in the decorative bowl {>

COKE FAMILY said...

I didn't notice anything wrong with the bowl. Gotta love kids and when they are all finally gone and the house is always clean what will we do?

Amy said...

My mom calls these "droppings," and says that they are harder to clean up than animal droppings because they appear faster than you can clean them. So we just embrace them, right? And girl droppings are similar, just different colors.

D/E G said...

Very true to life--your words say it all. The boys still obviously dominate in our house too! :)