Voice 1: Easter, the day Jesus rose from the dead. What should we do?
Voice 2: How 'bout eggs?!
Voice 1: Well, w-what does that have to do with Jesus?
Voice 2: Alright, we'll hide 'em.
Voice 1: I don't...I don't follow your logic.
Voice 2: Don't worry, there's a bunny.'' --Jim Gaffigan
Ever since we saw the holiday-themed portion of Jim Gaffigan's stand-up routine, Beyond the Pale, a few years back, it's hard to have our annual Easter Egg dyeing tradition and not think of it. It gives us a good chuckle.
Whenever we get close to Easter the kids start anticipating the dying of the eggs. I think this is their favorite tradition of the holiday! I know that on first thought it does seem like a very random tradition, but there actually is symbolism to the egg at Easter: the egg representing the closed tomb, containing life renewed within, and the cracking of the egg symbolizing new life coming forth. So we've talked about these things with the boys, attempting to bring egg dyeing back to the actual reason we celebrate Easter, the celebration of the Risen Christ. Yes, the boys know this. They give us the Sunday School answers to our questions; they know the drill. And maybe one day it will take on that deeper, special meaning to them. But right now, they could really care less. Dyeing the eggs is their favorite part of Easter because they like getting their hands dirty and making their eggs as amazingly colorful and unique as possible!
The two freshly laid eggs provided to us by our neighbors, who keep two hens, came out beautifully! They are my favorites of the bunch. I think Luke's hands spent as much time in the dye as his eggs, perhaps more, because his fingertips were wrinkled and his hands are still yellowish-green! Zach made faces and hair on his eggs with a wax crayon. Ben was going for the brightest colors possible. Josh got creative doing some color striping, but then felt they weren't bright enough so they all ended up getting dunked again. As they do every year, the eggs all came out lovely.
I loved all the ideas the boys came up with to make their eggs as colorful and creative as possible. Looking at the brightly colored eggs all drying in the cartons gives me such a happy feeling, so maybe this is my favorite tradition of the holiday too.
5 comments:
You do so much to make every holiday magical! We skipped eggs this year...
This was the first year my sister and I didn't dye eggs- it was so sad that I invited a bunch of girlfriends over to do it with me. It was great, but not the same without family. I'm glad your boys get to have fun together.
After my nap today, Mike said the Conlins have the same egg dying kit we do. I said, how do you know? He said...pictures on thier blog. I had to laugh. These can be so much fun. Hope it wasn't too hard getting the dye of Lukes fingers!
Haha we've been quoting Jim all day! And of course Luke dunk both hands wrist deep in the dye! Oh how I love and miss the Conlin Chaos!! Happy Easter!!!
Beautiful eggs! I remember some years the eggs being brown or gray because one can't stop dying just because an egg has one color. "Let's try red, and then green, and then blue." One question though, "when did the bunny start hiding the eggs?"
Post a Comment