Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

And Just Like That


I know I posted about Josh reading his first book recently, Inside, Outside, Upside Down. It's a pretty simple book, using the words from the title and a few additional simple words to round out the story. Since then I'd like to say Josh and I have spent a lot of time practicing reading, but we haven't. I read to him a lot, every day, but it's only maybe once a week that he reads to me.

And that is why I was beyond surprised to overhear the lilting cadence of Green Eggs And Ham floating to my ears yesterday from the bedroom he shares with Luke. Could it be? It was! There he and Luke were, sitting on the floor, absorbed in the crazy world of Doctor Seuss. And he was reading every word correctly, except for "would," which, when he looked up and saw me watching, he asked what word it was. After that he proceeded to read four more books...with a little more help from me, but still! Wow! It's just so amazing to me. That book isn't easy and it's long!

My experience with my boys has been when they get it, they just get it. I assume that is true for most kids. That one day they just start to understand the process of figuring out words, be it when they are three or when they are seven. It has been at different ages for the three of my boys who read, but once it clicks in...wow. It's just one of those things that absolutely fascinates me about the child mind!

4 comments:

runningfan said...

What a happy milestone! Way to go, Josh!

Alea said...

Yay Josh!!!

Jones said...

Maddy has been reading amazingly lately. It seems as if all of a sudden it's just clicking for her! The problem we're encountering is that some books are toooooo long. but it's not just reading words anymore, it's all flowing together to make a story....it's awesome!

Jones said...

oh and in reference to your comment you made on my blog about Adam having just come off his win (American Idol)...he didn't even win! he was the first runner up. Kris Allen won.