Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Little April Foolishness

I have to admit, I totally suck at April Fool's Day. I'm pretty decent at recognizing nearly every holiday with some bit of fun, even the odd ones like Groundhog Day. But for some reason April Fool's Day is beyond me. I'm just a lame prankster, I suppose!

So this year I thought I'd give it a real go. Thanks to some ideas that popped into my prankless brain in the final hour and a great dinner idea from my friend Jessica, the evening turned out to be pretty fun and very foolish!

Ben got a good spray from the tied down spray nozzle on our sink. Afterward, he tried to get Zach, but Josh let Zach in on the gag. But because Zach is such a good sport, he turned on the faucet anyhow and got a good blast too.
A few weeks ago Ben came home asking if I knew what cascarones were and then proceeded to explain. I guess they were talking about them at school. Cascarones are a Mexican tradition where you carefully break an egg, making a hole big enough to empty the insides out. After they are emptied, they are washed and dried, then you fill them with confetti and cover the hole up again and break them over someone's head. Ben decided he wanted to make some to throw at Dad on April Fool's Day. So we tucked the idea away and actually remembered to do it this week. It was so fun. And oh! We got Adam good!
And made a big mess! The water did that too. I'm going to have to try to think of a prank that isn't quite so messy!
My friend Jessica suggested the fabulous dinner idea. Each of the boys had to draw a slip of paper telling them what kind of utensil and dish they would have to use for dinner. Options included ladle, serving fork, serving spoon, whisk, and spatula, as well as plate, cookie sheet, bowl, pie plate, mixing bowl. This got some good laughs! Next they drew three slips of paper each with either salad, stirfry or rice written on them. If they got three rice, that was dinner! Or two salad and one stirfry, same thing. Ben was excited to get two rice and one salad (not a big stirfry fan), but Zach was so sad to get to salad and one rice, but no stirfry! I had to tell them, "April Fool's!" before the tears started to fall!
To finish the fun meal, I made jello with some of the boys (cleansed and scrubbed) toys floating inside. My favorite was the seal with it's little head poking out of the jello! The boys LOVED it!
For bedtime, I had tried to short-sheet Zach's bed earlier in the day, but I didn't do it right, {TANK} so I guess that fool was on me! :)

Now I'm on a roll! I've already got some ideas brewing for next year that I'm going to have to write down somewhere for safe keeping. You know it was a success when you hear (from Zach), "I'm going to remember these and do them to my kids!"

5 comments:

Jen said...

I am no good at April Fools either. I will have to remember the egg trick though. Hannah would love that.

Brown Family said...

Colleen, you are AWSOME. I love your idea's you are such a great mom. I wish I could do the things that you do with your boys. They were all great idea's. I will have to try something for next year.

Dan and Katie said...

see, you are such a fun mom!! and that dinner you made was delicious!! i'm glad all got salad, rice, and stir fry :) Dan wants to know what kind of salad dressing that was too!

Julz said...

Here's an idea I found months ago and was going to use but forgot. Thought you might want it to help spur on ideas for next year. http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/colorful-cupcakes-686085/

Jones said...

I'm so glad you had fun!! our night was HILAROUS...but I probably won't get to posting till sometime nex week. I'm on a borrowed lap top...let's hope my computer gets fixed soon!

I love the jello idea!