Zac, Ben, Josh and our friend, Nathan Barker, all joined me. Unfortunately, since it was the day after Josh got his braces on and he was having a hard time eating, he tanked pretty fast. Hiking up a mountain is hard to do with no fuel! Darn braces. By the time we got to the Barr Trail cut-off, we knew he wouldn't make it. Ben, knowing how much I needed this to calm my nerves, generously offered to go back down with Josh to the car and wait for Dad, who was coming to pick us up at the top, so the rest of us could continue on. He was my hero that day!
Nathan, Zac and I carried on. It was a beautiful hike with two awesome young men to keep me company and keep me laughing. We made great time, the altitude was surprisingly not impacting me nearly as much as I thought it would, and the hike did everything to calm my nerves. I feel so much better and KNOW I am ready for race day. Plus, that was my first Fourteener summit! What a beautiful place we live!
No comments:
Post a Comment