Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Back-to-School 2017

Monday, August 14th, we sent Ben, Luke and Tommy off to their first days of school for the 2017-2018 school year--9th, 5th and 2nd.

Ben was up and ready to go before 6:45, calm and cool.  He's been ready to be a Freshman for a year!  Adam and I both drove him down to Rampart's freshmen-only day, and I didn't tear up until after he got out of the car.  That's a win!  It all just goes so fast!  He's taking chemistry and biology this year so that he can take AP classes in the 3 years ahead, plus pre-calculus, so that will be a big workload for him.  But he has a non-academic outlet, too--cross country!  He is so excited about cross-country this fall, and has already made some good friends on the team. 

From his attitude over the summer, I thought he'd be more glum having to head back to "regular school" from School in the Woods, but Luke was really excited for his first day back at AIES.  He settled right into his old friendships, chatting with pals in line with a huge smile on his face.  He has a great teacher this year, Mme. Isley, and we know that with all the growth and progress he had last year that he will have an amazing 5th grade experience--his last elementary school year!  (what.)

Tommy, on the other hand, woke up with a tummy ache.  He was not at all excited about heading back to school.  A lot of his friends are in the other French Immersion class, so that made him feel sad.  Also, it seems that the older he gets, the more the noise and energy of larger crowds overwhelms him.  I think the Ice Cream Social may not be the best beginning for him, because it can feel loud and chaotic, which isn't how the typical school day feels, but it sets that tone in his mind of how school might feel.  Plus, as a creature of habit, it's hard for him to feel excited about something new, but I know after he gets a few days under his belt, he will settle in and feel comfortable about being back.  He has Mme. Brown this year, and she is wonderful, so I know things will feel better once the routine is set.  Still, it's always hard to send off your kiddo when he seems unsettled!  Thankfully, he came home happy about the day and ready for more.

Josh, Zac and I partook of a favorite annual back-to-school tradition of brunch or lunch and movie for the non-starters.  Over Easy for stuffed french toast and then Wonder Woman.  At the end of the movie, we thought it odd when we started to hear "wind" in the background of the movie soundtrack.  Zac and I had seen the movie already, and didn't remember it from before--then we realized it was a HUGE stormy deluge happening outside!  An end-of-day pick-up weather delay--what a way to end the first day of school for our little boys!

The 15th was the first day for Zac and Josh--our Junior (nonononono) and 7th grader. 

Zac has three AP classes this year: Language, French 1 and Physics 1.  It's going to be a big year for him as far as getting his resume ready to apply to college next year (did I really just type those words?), and a year in which academics will have to take front seat over all his other interests and endeavors, but he's ready--he's incredibly intelligent and when he invests in something, it always comes out well.   He still plans on participating in the theater program and playing soccer.  He's also considering trying lacrosse in the spring, but so much depends on how his studies are going; he's staying flexible.

For Josh, 7th grade looks to be another year of success.  He has such a great attitude about school and is so self-motivated, we don't have much to worry about here.  He's on a great team with many of his friends, and will have a lot of support from the TAG teacher, as she will not only have him for enrichment, but also for math.  He's playing alto sax in the band again, will be swimming this fall and wants to try track in the spring. 

The summer went by so fast, I don't know if any of the boys really felt ready to get back, but ready or not!  To ease the reality that it was actually time for everyone to get back to school, I prepared a "You Are Special Today" back-to-school breakfast the second morning, once they were all going.  Then I sent off all five of my brave boys into the world.  It never gets easier, and I am always a little teary at the growing up, but isn't that what they are supposed to be doing?  I am just so proud that they are doing it so well; they are amazing boys with good hearts, strong minds and a love of learning.  I believe in them, and, more importantly, I think they believe in themselves most of the time.  I know they will bring their light into the world and give it their all.

Cooper and Luke--reunited in Mme. Isley's class!






Jack, Canyon and Josh--same boys, same corner, a year later!


No comments: