Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Three O'Clock

The morning was quiet and productive, mostly because I totally spaced the Stake Relief Society meeting I was supposed to be at from 8am to 12pm. But I guess the good news is that I am spacing fewer and fewer things these days. I am almost back to my pre-baby "spaced-events" rate! Because I forgot the meeting, we were able to get a bunch of chores done, errands run and fun had this past Saturday morning.

Then came afternoon and the time I had been nervous about all week...three o'clock.... I had been praying all week that if any of us were going to come down with Tommy's stomach flu, that it would be after Saturday night. Thankfully that prayer was answered...no one has gotten it yet. With that worry gone, it was just getting through the afternoon that would be the challenge. Would we, could we, make it work?

Zach had a basketball double-header that had started at 1:30pm. He played three quarters of the first game and then the entire first half of the second game. That took us up to 2:50pm. We had to leave the game early, saying a quick goodbye to the great team and their great season. Zach had so much fun and really improved over the season. I also think some of the aggressiveness that was required for basketball has helped him in soccer, at least from what I've seen in his preseason practices and scrimmages.

Zach quickly switched out his shoes, threw on a polo shirt and some khakis and....
...we dashed to Zach and Ben's spring piano recital that began at exactly 3:00pm. We had arranged with their teacher to have them go first and second. They played beautifully! Ben's only been playing for two months, since after Christmas, and has progressed so smoothly. He was only supposed to play two songs, but decided to throw in a third, much to his teacher's surprise :). Zach continues to enjoy his first year--he started in the fall--and took on Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique for this recital. I am so glad the boys have music in their lives! After they finished their performances we had to sneak quietly out the back, having Zach change his shirt once again, into his Cub Scout shirt, so we could get to...
...the Pinewood Derby that had ALSO started at 3:00pm! Whew! We actually made it, and with all the weighing in and getting set-up, we weren't even that late. Zach's car was designed to be shaped like a snowboard (he was inspired by Shaun White in the Olympics), and he did a really cool paint treatment on it. Last year, Adam decided on a policy to let the boys do with their cars what they want; he will help them create the car they dream up, even if it's not going to make it fast. I really admire that!

Last year, Zach's car was 2nd to last. This year he came in 6th out of 13. He was so excited about the improvement. Plus, he ended up with the award for most creative design. Being the Wolf Den Leader and in charge of the awards, I had to abstain from voting on that category to make it fair! But it sure was hard keeping my mouth shut. :) I can't believe we made it all work on Saturday! To celebrate our accomplishment of the busiest Saturday I think we've ever had, Adam...
...took the boys to ice cream with a couple other scout families at an ice cream place of epic "portions." Apparently there is nothing "small" about the small-size cone, since the soft-serve swirled ice cream sticks out of the cone about 8 inches! We hear the large is a sight to behold! While they did that, I... ...left from the Derby to go meet my dear friends, Mo and JoDee up in Castle Rock for dinner. I usually see these girls at BYU for Women's Conference every year, but since Tommy is nursing this year I won't be able to go. Fortunately, Mo took a mommy escape from her home in Boise to visit JoDee in Boulder (who is mending beautifully from a terrible car accident in the fall) and we were all able to meet up. I just love these girls! I will miss our weekend together at BYU, but this short but sweet gathering gave me just the fix I needed until I can meet up with them again next year!
It was such an exhausting day, that Tommy, who was still apparently recovering from his tummy bug, woke up to eat at 6:30am Sunday morning and then slept in unitl 11:55am!

5 comments:

Jen said...

wow what a day but so much fun. I didn't realize Hannah and Ben started piano at the same time. Glad you got some girl time. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

The Nedrys said...

Oh my goodness, what a busy but fun day! I think it is neat that the boys are taking piano lessons and doing sports. Playing the piano is something I wish I had stuck with as a kid. Your boys rock!

Candace said...

Way to Go! And that spaced meeting could be freudian, knowing you needed some breathing time.

runningfan said...

What a crazy busy day! At least you "relaxed" in the morning!

maynardmoments said...

What a huge day! You deserve the super mom award for that one.

If it makes you feel any better, I completely spaced the R.S. meeting until I read your blog! Woah. Blame it on the pregnancy I guess.