On moving day we plugged in our fridge and about a half an hour later, much to our dismay, we heard the most obnoxious sound! {Thunka thunka thunk!}. What was that?! The fridge was broken! Fortunately we had been given a homeowners warranty by our realtor as a moving in gift. So we called the warranty company and they came out to take a look to the tune of $50, only to tell us that there was a large spring loose in a fused-shut part of the fridge that was causing the sound so it could not be fixed but because the fridge still functioned they would not replace it. Drat. We would hear that sound forever, every time the fridge stopped running.
In the beginning it woke us up in the night, making us think there was a robbery in progress, but we eventually became accustomed to it and only noticed it when visitors would jump out of their shoes when they heard it and point it out to us. "Oh, that? Yeah, that's just our broken fridge. Pay it no attention. You'll start to tune it out after awhile."
On top of that, our microwave broke in the first four months of our ownership of the house, requiring replacement. Fortunately THAT was broken ENOUGH to be paid for by our rad warranty company. (We didn't renew.) So we bought a stainless steel microwave in an attempt to get ourselves excited about the rest of the appliances we would be purchasing when the time was right and the money was in hand. To round out the fun, we had to shout at each other to hear over the dishwasher when it was on. And when it would stop it would come to a grinding, painful halt with a loud crunching sound. {Grrunnnhhccck!}
Yes, our appliances were definitely the originals put in the house when it was built.
But no longer! We have replaced all three of the remaining old appliances and I L-O-V-E our new ones! The kitchen looks great! Now for some paint.
Out with the old! To the garage with you, old, noisy fridge! You will be so useful for extra freezer and beverage storage and I can't hear you! Na na na na na! 
The final load.
In with the new! With water and ice :).
I especially love my new oven/range that has a convection feature that made perfect brownies yesterday at 25 degrees lower than the recipe called for. Sweet! And it has a long burner that can be used for large pans or the griddle attachment for perfect hash browns and pancakes!
It's not silent, but it is only half as loud as our old one. We can actually carry on conversations! And better yet, it was quiet enough that we didn't really even notice when it came to a silent stop last night.
14 comments:
oh, I feel your pain!! Our oven is currently not really working. I put the temp on 500 (the highest it will go) and I still barely get it warm. It's made me re-think a lot of dinners lately.
We got our dishwasher replaced last year, and that was heaven.
Your kitchen looks fantastic!! Yeah for you. I'm cheering!
Crazy, I feel like I'm looking at my kitchen. Same layout, same cabinets, nearly identical counters, SAME microwave, and the rest of those lovely appliances (though we don't have water and ice). Here's to happy smiles every time you look at your "new" kitchen!
I've been there and can imagine your joy. Our dishwasher loud like yours when we moved in. I didn't have your patience. I told Robert we were replacing it ASAP. It only took us a few months to get rid of the conversation killer.
We had the same oven problem as you, Shaina. The main heating element had broken. We still got some heat from the broiler, but couldn't get the temperature we wanted. I think it was about a $180 fix.
It looks awesome. Woo hoo. At least you know if you need to hear the fridge sound you can just go stand in the garage. :)
I love the new stuff! insert happy dance here
It looks great. Enjoy.
New appliances are awesome! I'm glad you are enjoying yours so very much.
P.S. Home Depot sells awesome stainless steel wipes. The brand is Weiman.
I'm jealous...mostly about the dishwasher. Ours is so loud!! Your kitchen looks wonderful. :)
Now next time I'm there I won't have a heart attack every five minutes when your fridge stops...that's nice :) They're be-ha-uuuuuu-tiful!!!
They look great! Thank you for the brownies....love the mint chips. (even shared with the kids)
I seriously love you Colleen!! Your blog just makes me smile and laugh, and I love the way you write! I especially LOVE your new appliances. Maybe a little jealous, but in a good way of course! Thanks for posting yet another fabulous Conlin moment!
I'll miss old thunka-thunka, esp. in the middle of the night :0 They are all beautiful!
Good riddance to thunka-thunka! The appliances really make the kitchen shine. Looks great!
It is amazing the difference. Your new appliances look wonderful. Isn't it funny the things that make a stay-at-home mom smile! --enjoy!
lovin the new appliances!!
Post a Comment