Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

100 Bucks and Official Manhood

Our garage door opener went out about a week ago.  We were starting to wonder if the warranties were up on everything in our home all at once because about the same time as the garage door opener went out, so did about 5 other things.  Don't you love when that happens?  {please note the sarcasm}  Total budget buster.  Anyhow, we had the garage door specialist guy come out, but after confirming Adam's suspicion on the  problem with the opener, Adam opted to buy the part from Amazon for $15 dollars and replace it himself instead of paying the guy $100 in parts and labor to replace it. 

This wasn't a simple decision.  Adam is a handyman-in-training.  He wants to be the guy who can do odd jobs around the house.  And he's getting there.  But he never learned how to do those handyman type of things growing up because his dad, who had done so much of that kind of work while growing up on a farm, always called in someone else to do the household jobs.  So Adam has had to learn as he goes, project by project, job by job.  Usually, after some tinkering here, experimenting there, he's successful.  Sometimes we realize we need to call in the experts. 

Tuesday afternoon the part for the garage door arrived.  Tuesday night I walked into the garage just as Adam was finishing up the replacement.  He looked at me, an unquestionable look of satisfaction on his handsome face, complete with safety glasses, headlamp, and greasy shirt.  Then in a manly voice, that I am sure was slightly deeper than usual, he said, "Go ahead.  Push the button."  So I did as instructed.  Who am I to question such certainty?  That garage door rumbled its way up to the top and stopped--more quietly than it has in our entire three-and-a-half years living in this house I might add--and then I pushed the button again and it rumbled itself right back down to stop at the ground.  Closed tight.

"I just saved us $100 bucks," said Adam, grinning through slimy gray grease.

"And you totally just stepped into manhood, babe."  I replied. 

That is MY man. :)  I'm so proud of my "official" Chaos household handyman.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Nice! Way to go Adam!

Candace said...

GO Adam!! But I'm going to miss the squeal (notice sarcasm)...

Heidi said...

There's nothing better than a money-saving handyman! Well...there probably is, but I'm sure glad I'm married to one.

Alea said...

Way to go Adam!