As my husband and three biggest boys were getting ready to leave the house Friday night for our ward's annual father-son camp out (Luke opted out) at the Air Force Academy's B-52 campground, Adam grabbed his i-Pod off the counter.
Me: "Hey! It's the father-son camp out! You can't bring that. You are supposed to be spending some quality time with the boys, not watching a movie on your i-Touch."
Adam: "My dear, since you've never been to one of these, let me enlighten you. It's really fathers-sit-talking-around-the-campfire-while-sons-run-amok-in-the-woods. There isn't a lot of quality time, unless you count the great time I have hanging out with my guy friends and the crazy time the boys have being wild with their friends. That's what really goes on."
Me: "Psha! That isn't how it should be! Doesn't the term 'Father/Son' imply good quality father and son time?"
Adam: "Don't worry, honey, we all have fun."
Me: "Alrightee then, just promise me you aren't going to watch anything on your i-Touch when you could be spending time with the boys."
Adam: "Deal. It's just to listen to my book to help me settle as I fall asleep anyway."
And that is just about how it went. The boys reported high adventures of games in the dark, climbing trees (Ben, 30 feet up in a pine in the pitch dark {shudder}), and endless {horrible-for-you} treats and snacks. Adam told stories of funny things he had discussed with the other dads. They came home dirty, smelling of campfire smoke, laughing together over funny moments during the course of the 16 hours they were gone, and very happy.
Judging from the smiles on their faces and the camaraderie I saw in them the rest of the day, I guess it's not my female idea of quality time that matters. They had a great time having their kind of quality time, guy quality time. Even though I still think "The Father-Son Camp Out " would more properly be named "The Fathers-Having-Fun-Sons-Having-Separate-Fun Camp Out." Adam did say they played cards in the tent for an hour-and-a-half before bed and got a big group together for a father-son game of touch football Saturday morning. So I'm satisfied. :)
Happy boys. Happy husband. Happy with the time they spent together. What more could a mother and wife ask?! Not a thing.
4 comments:
Guy time is hard to understand, even guy and daughter time. I always laughed about YMCA dad-daughter pumpkin derby. Dressing up pumpkins (so far I'm with them), and then putting wheels on them to send them down a ramp (they lost me here!), the best part being when they crashed. Moms would never think of this.
Pretty sure this is what the moms would do too, at least I think I probably would. Visit and let the kids play and run wild. Sounds like a perfect camp-out (minus the camping out part ;)
AND, he took pictures! Chad opted out of my offer to take the camera. It would have only sat in the car, anyway. Bonus points for Adam! :)
I like the first picture, where all the guys are in a circle and all the kids are in another circle!
Post a Comment