Today we found ourselves with a couple extra hours...well, we really didn't have a couple extra hours, since we were supposed to be at a birthday party that for some reason got stuck in my head as being tomorrow, so we completely missed it, bad mommy! However, when I was in the blissful moments of thinking we had some extra time, we decided to hit the Manitou (pronounced Man-it-oooo) Cliff Dwellings. These cliff dwellings were home to some of the Anasazi Indians from 1100 to 1300. The boys' favorite parts were watching the Native American dancers, who were VERY cool, and leaping and exploring these rocky homes (boys and rocks, I tell you!). My favorite part was just standing in them and realizing that I was standing where a group of pre-Columbian Americans had laughed and cried, told stories, toiled for their livelihood, birthed babies, cooked meals, defended their families, farmed, fell in love, lost love, lived and died. Real people had actually built these amazing homes in the cliff face close to 1000 years ago, it wasn't just some staged exhibit! Ahhh, I am such a history geek! But I loved it!
3 comments:
What a fun place to visit. I wish I were there to go on some of your adventures--you've been busy!
you guys have some exciting adventures right there!! you make me want to pack up and move!!
just gorgeous!
wow, that looks so amazing! I was asking Chad the other day if he had looked at all the beautiful and fun things you have been able to do. We have always thought about moving to Colorado.
Post a Comment