Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Department of Motor Vehicles Adventure

OK, so it wasn't really an "adventure" per se, but really more a necessary errand I was dreading, that turned out to be a pretty fun outing with my boys! We have lived here three months now, our Washington State license tabs expired at the end of March (right after the move), and we had not yet renewed our tabs/title/registration here. It was way past time. Especially since I got pulled over once already for expired tabs this month, and did not want it to happen again. The boys already think I am a major criminal for the one pull-over (yes they were in the car, and yes Ben was very worried I was going to jail), I can't imagine what a second would do to my rep. So, despite the fact that I came down with a stomach flu after running my 10.5 miles on Saturday and was sick in bed with a fever yesterday, the boys and I headed to the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles today to get the new green rocky mountain plates.

We got there at 12:23pm and had 135 numbers to go before our turn, so we headed out for ice cream at the Baskin-Robbins since the boys had coupons for a free scoop from the summer reading program at our library. When we got back, there were still 60+ numbers to go, so we sat down and got creative. We played I Spy; we made up stories two ways, each saying one word and also each making up a small part then passing it along; we played the baby-shower-style memory game where I covered things that I had pulled out of the diaper bag, uncovered them for 10 seconds, covered them back up and had the boys tell me what they could remember (they were really good!); we found things in the room starting with every letter of the alphabet; we had chap stick rolling contests; and we played "hide the penny" hiding it under things from the diaper bag and you had three tries to guess where it was. It was so much fun! The time flew by...seriously. There were no tears and no fighting. It was a bloomin' miracle.

Even Luke stayed close playing with my cell phone (I may never get it to work again, but he was happy at least) and eating fruit snacks. When we got out, it was 2:14pm. But instead of a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day, it was really fun. It was one of those surprise special times, I mean I know we are going to have fun exploring the zoo, playing at the park, reading together on the couch or visiting the museum, but this was unexpected. My boys are pretty fantastic (brag, brag ;)), but times like these make me feel extra grateful for the fabulous boys I have. Who knew the DMV was such a great place to take your kids?

5 comments:

Kim said...

I'm going to have to remember some of those ideas. I can just tell (and I knew this already) that you are an awesome mom and that's why you have awesome kids!

Aimee Oliver said...

I concur...Only a fabulous mom could come up with all of those cool games on the spot! You are awesome! I noticed your comment on my blog... are you headed for a visit soon or was that just "future tense"??? We sure miss you!

Andrea said...

AWESOME!

P.S. Congrats on your 10.5. I was supposed to do 9 and ended up doing a big fat NOTHING.

Katrina said...

I love how creative you are! your boys are so lucky to have you too. Congrats on getting it done...it is a huge pain!!

Cailean said...

Isn't it so fun to take on a challenge and totally prevail? I am so glad you posted this for us all to read because it's not bragging (although you deserve to brag)...it's inspiration! What a creative and patient and FUN Mom you are and what lucky lucky boys :)