Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Luke on Luke: Eight

Luke has grown up so much over the past year!  He has really been working on appropriate expression of his big feelings and we are seeing fewer tantrums these days.  Hugs and kind words are always shared when he feels loving; he is one of the most affectionate boys I know.  He is always eager to tell us he loves us, just in case we forgot from five minutes ago when he said it last.  He says, "Thank you," all the time for the little things he notices others doing for him.  He's matured and discovered the world outside of himself and that the people out there feel and think like him, so their feelings and opinions matter too.  It's a huge step in growing up, and I can see that conscientiousness developing beautifully.  Luke is a huge talker and when he's excited about something or has learned something new or just has extra energy to burn he will chat your ears off.  When I tell people how shy he once was, they often just laugh in disbelief.  Even though it's developed some gaps this year, his smile still lights up a room.  Most importantly, Luke is skilled at identifying his feelings and has become a pro at finding a quiet place to calm down when he's feeling frustrated or upset.  It's been wonderful to see him mature in this way and realize that he can be the boss of himself and take charge of his reactions to his feelings.  Luke is so clever and intelligent, and his teachers are constantly telling us how smart he is.  He is hungry for knowledge and loves books packed with facts.  He loves reading, but does not love writing, unless he can take his time or type.  His imagination is so vivid and his play incredibly inventive and creative.  He is passionate about space and animals.  He is wonderful and we adore our Luke!

Luke's turn!
How old are you?  "Eight."
What makes you happy?  "When Mommy gives me hugs and kisses, and when I get new toys.  Technically, everything makes me happy except for stuff that makes me mad."
What are your favorite things to eat?  "Pizza, pizza and more pizza.  And ice cream.  And doughnuts.  And ramen." (healthy choices there!)
What is your least favorite thing to eat?  "Slugs." (he's never actually eaten a slug, I promise!)
What are your favorite things to do?  "Jump on the trampoline, play with my friends, and play with my brother.  And also sleep.  If I'm angry, I always wish I was having a nap."
What is your favorite TV show?  "Phineas and Ferb...actually Nova."
What are you really good at?   "Climbing and giving hugs.  Reading and math."
What is your favorite movie?  "Wall-E."
What is your favorite animal?  "Um, that's tough.  Let's say all of them.  They're all so awesome."
What is your favorite color?  "Purple, blue and green."
What is your favorite song?  "I don't know my favorite song."
Who are your best friends?  "Cooper East, Andrey Yshenko and Daniel Feickert."
What do you and Mom do together that you love?  "Read stories, snuggle."
What do you and Dad do together that you love?  "Play together and build stuff."
What is your favorite sport?  "Fishing and swimming." (fishing?)
What is your favorite book?  "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."
Where is your favorite place to go?  "To the cabin."
What makes you feel scared?  "The dark, storms, clowns and spiders."
What do you want to be when you grow up?  "An astronaut.  That's easy.  I think that's pretty clear!  Or a space scientist, if I can't be in space."
What words would you use to describe yourself? "Energetic, book-loving, small, fun, happy, sometimes sad, and sometimes I'm angry."
What is the most exciting thing you got to do this year? "Had the beach party at school."
What do you want to tell the future you? "Don't get angry at the little things."

1 comment:

Candace said...

Some who I missed this! And I love all his answers! I think he has some insight to his frustrations. And I love that he wants to be a space scientist if he can't be an astronaut!