Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Celebrating Eight Years of Luke

Luke loved his birthday. 

I love when my kids tell me it's the best birthday they've ever had.  Maybe it really truly is, maybe there have actually been better ones, but to them, on their day, that time, they believe it, so I feel we've done our job.

This year, Luke really did have it good.  Brothers were home, school was out, presents were opened first-thing, there were doughnuts for breakfast, the day was his to do with as he pleased (which is how he'd have every day if he could), he got the coolest gift ever and everyone was jealous (a telescope), he was able to teach himself about all the different knobs and lenses on his scope while he practiced looking at the treeline on Pike's Peak, I made him chicken tortilla soup by request, he ate a Choco Taco for the very first time (so basically there it is), and he got to stay up really late so we could use his telescope to see the gorgeous near-full moon up close.  What a great day! 

If that last part wasn't his favorite part of the day, it for sure was mine.  Seeing the wonder spread across his face as he fine focused that moon into view and discovered the crevices and craters of the moon with his very own eyes was possibly one of my favorite moments as a parent.  I couldn't help but scoop him up and say, "Luke!  You got the moon for your birthday!"  He was so happy and grateful and proud.  It was the best.

Happy 8th birthday, Lucas Daniel!  We are so glad you are ours!    
Adam putting together the telescope the night before his birthday.  The only thing Luke had on his birthday list was a Rubik's Cube, so I had to think of something else to give him.  His love for space has been a constant theme this year, so when a telescope popped in my mind, I knew it would be perfect.  Plus, I knew everyone would be excited about it.

I forgot an "after" pic of all his gifts, but he also received a tsum tusm Pooh Bear (look it up) from Zac, a Big Hero 6 tee from Josh, a new pair of Toms from--who else?--Tommy, and that Rubik's Cube from Ben, of course.  We also gave him a book about looking at the night sky and an accessory pack of filters and lenses for the telescope. 

The unveiling!  I told him, "I am so excited about this gift, so when you see what it is, if you don't love it, pretend you do."  Fortunately, he didn't have to pretend!

Sharing with brothers while they figure it all out.

They always want doughnuts for breakfast, but I have to round it out with something else, even if they don't all eat the rounded out part.

Luke loved the telescope!  He returned to use it over and over all day long.  Win!

During a taco bar dinner recently ("What do you want on your taco, Luke?"), there was a conversation about tacos with chocolate sauce, and I told Luke there really was such a thing as a Choco Taco.  "There is?!  I want that for my birthday treat!"  As you wish....  Unfortunately, one candle was all we could get in there.

The Choco Taco was a hit.

Fine focusing on the moon.

It couldn't have been a more perfect night for moon viewing.  Warm, clear, gibbous.

Our birthday boy!

1 comment:

Papa said...

Wonderful Birthday!!! Such a great smile on his face! Happy Birthday once again, Luke! Love Nana (not a robot, but not Papa)