My mom joined me for a little post-waking lazy snooze in my room while we waited for Adam and my dad, who were laboring diligently over our delicious aebelskiver breakfast, which was served up to us by the boys in bed--complete with origami folded paper crane napkins and gifts aplenty, including pictures made with love, thoughtful coupons, a darling silhouette, a pretty bracelet Zac sneaky bought at the youth auction, and my new Periodic Table of the Elements TOMS. We oohed and ahhed and ate and cuddled, and then it was time to get up and dressed and out the door. But it had been a perfect way to celebrate the day.
It was a lovely day for me. Simple and slow. The sun was glorious and warm. Adam didn't let me lift a finger unless I wanted to. The boys, as usual, were great about treating me extra kindly on Mother's Day, being extra helpful and doing their best to get along all. day. long. Which I appreciate so much because I know that is the hardest part, as I can see the older boys making a huge effort to zip their lips when they want to make a snarky retort to some annoyance from each other or the little boys, who don't get the "be extra nice" on Mother's Day concept quite so well.
We relaxed in the backyard, took a nice neighborhood walk and just had a happy, peaceful, sunshiny day. I was able to reflect a bit on my motherhood, where I'd like to improve, things I think I've done well, and feel deep gratitude for all the women who mothered me and shaped my motherhood over the years: my own amazing mother, my wonderful mother-in-law, my treasured sister and sisters-in-law, dear family members, close family friends, as well as the scores of mothers who have come into my life as friends and have set great examples for me of motherhood that I endeavor to exemplify. Most of all, I am grateful for my motherhood and the five tenderwackyfunnyhandsomefaithfulactivestrivingkindsweetperfectlyimperfect boys who call me "Mom" and the man who made "me" into "we."
5 comments:
Such a great day. So glad you got to spend part of it with your mom. Love the shoes!!
A morning to treasure for me <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
AW! how sweet! Cool shoes :)
You are such a great mom! I love reading about all the awesome stuff you guys do.
Awww, how wonderful to celebrate with your Mom! I think I've only done that once since I've been married, and that was because I had a baby near mother's day! What a treat!
Post a Comment