Over half a year ago, in an effort to show their gratitude and give back to the hospital, the staff, and the doctors who saved their babies' lives, sometimes more than once, and cared for them all so much during their long stays in the hospital, Shaina and the mothers of the two other boys decided to plan and execute a blanket drive for Denver Children's Hospital. The blankets would be donated on November 4th, in celebration of their sons' first birthdays.
In the months that followed, the hands of friends, family, kind strangers, blog readers, and church members were busy at work to provide new homemade and store-bought blankets. They had hoped to donate enough blankets to provide one blanket to each of the in-patients that the hospital took in for two weeks. That would be six hundred blankets, as the hospital can sometimes go through 300 in a week. What they received was over 1000.
It was a beautiful thing watching it all unfold. The generosity and open-hearts of so many people was astounding. People who were immediately touched by the lives of these families, as well as those who didn't know them directly at all, only through friends of theirs, or friends of friends of theirs, or the internet, jumped in to embrace the cause and help however they could: sew, no-sew, quilt, crochet, knit, buy...if the final product was a blanket to donate, it was done!
It was a perfect way to celebrate the first year of life for these special boys, Kimble and his friends Adam and Chance. I am so fortunate to have been there with Shaina from the start. Her courage, openness, sincerity of emotion, and desire to pay the gift of Kimble's life forward are gifts that are unquantifiable. She and her son have blessed our lives so much, and look what they've done for others! In this season of gratitude, where we say openly the thankfulness that we feel in our hearts throughout the year, I must say that I am so thankful for Shaina and Kimble and all the spiritual gifts they have unknowingly and unintentionally given us this year.
I just love seeing what one person can do. Just one. It started with the birth of one very precious baby boy, and then person by person the miracle expanded. Hearts were opened, love was shared, compassion was shown, and the seed of service that was planted by little Kimble's birth became an opportunity to give that touched many lives, those of the givers as well as those of the recipients and their families.
I know it wasn't Kimble's idea, but the idea was born with him. And what an amazing idea it was!
This is a photo of Kimble, Adam and Chance a few days before delivery with 900+ of the blankets that had come from far and near over the months (stolen from this post on Shaina's blog).
In the next few days, I am sure Shaina will be posting about the final collection and the drop-off of all the blankets, with all the facts, stories, figures and feelings that came along with this great feat of charity, so please make sure to check out her blog soon! I am sure it's going to be a post to remember!
3 comments:
A wonderful story! I am so glad you were a part of it!
I was just thinking I need to do a post about this too. It is so amazing to see the boys among all those blankets.
What a very sweet post from a very sweet friend. I couldn't have done this by myself. Once again, in an effort to thank everyone for the service displayed to me and my family, you have served me again. Thank you for all of your help and support. Love ya!
Post a Comment