Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

It Was My Suggestion

And they wouldn't let me forget it.

On Wednesday night, after picking my sis up from the airport (hooray!), Adam, Leah and I went to the Haunted Mines spook alley/haunted house. Adam and I hadn't been to a haunted house since before we were married, while we were still getting our undergrad degrees at BYU. The old "insane asylum" in Provo held a "inmates take over the asylum" haunted house and it was TERRIFYING. A guy with a bloody face chased us all the way to our car, as I did everything I could to throw Adam's body between him and me. I think they closed it down the next year because it wasn't P.C., but by golly, it was so scary. Scary enough that we haven't felt the pull to go back since. I guess I felt it was time for us to give it another go!

The Haunted Mines wasn't as scary as the one in Provo, but I certainly felt like I was going to pee my pants a number of times, did a lot of screaming, and had to talk myself back to calmness a number of times. In other words, I WAS GOOD AND SCARED! We had a blast!

Adam used to work with one of the guys who helped engineer the whole thing, so when Adam asked if Tim was there working Wednesday night, and the woman selling us the tickets said, "Yes, and I'm his wife," we got in for free and she sent us to the VIP line, which meant no wait. That was a nice name drop! Thank you, Tim's wife! We visited with Tim at the end and gave him our input, which was pretty useless since we were still numb from fear.

The pictures we took cracked me up. They show exactly how I was feeling. I know it was my idea in the first place, so I should have been more excited, right? But my face in the photos tells a different story. One that reads: "Why am I here?!"

Nice sister picture with graves in the background, right? Let's take a closer look:Get me out of here!
No big deal, just a nice old man getting in our picture. But wait...I just want to go home!!!! That is the most forced smile I've ever seen.
When it was all over and we were safely out, we had to take a picture by this sign. We saw it as we were going up to the line to go in and said, "Whenever we feel scared we can just remind ourselves of the burro at play." We reminded ourselves of the burro many times that night.
Here's evidence that Adam was there too. The bruises I left on his hand are also proof. Because the idea of Haunted Mines aren't scary enough, they have to have a hearse announcing the mines at the entrance. Eek!
Overall, so fun, so scary, so glad we did it. Even if I am still haunted by the little dead-looking girl screaming in my face, "Do you want to play with my dolly?!!!!" as I crawled through a dark mining shaft.

8 comments:

Shaina said...

Sounds absolutley fabulous!

Mags said...

Hmmm then I suggest you not go to the Haunted House(open year round) in downtown Orlando. We had Hannibal Lector come out of his cell into our faces. Never touched us, but by golly it was freaky. There was also the exorcist girl. That was the last haunted place I went to back in college. When actors get involved, it can be scary business indeed.

Trinette McCrary said...

Spooky....I'm a wimp when it comes to scary stuff. Way to tough it out!

Jen said...

you are so much braver then me. You couldn't drag me in there.

The Nedrys said...

Oh man, I am impressed...I hate stuff like this. After being chased with a chainsaw at Knott's Scary Farm, I swore this stuff off! You are brave!

Candace said...

What a fun time! I love your face...so excited (Am I having fun yet?). Beautiful pictures of my two favorite people!

Alea said...

Yay CREEPY!!!!!!!!!! I think the last time I went to a haunted house was with you to the KUBE93 house in high school! Hahahaha!!!!!!!

Cailean said...

Haahahahahahhahha! I love the photos and the close-up of your face! Super scary sounding!