This post is a result of three things:
1. During this past weekend's General Conference, president Thomas S. Monson, the spiritual leader of our church, encouraged us to cultivate an attitude of gratitude.
2. My friend Heidi recently posted to her blog some very entertaining "letters." If you are looking for many nice deep belly laughs today, you can read them here, here and here. Warning: once you read them, your mind will not be able to stop thinking in letter format!
3. My parents were extremely vigilant about making sure my sister and I wrote "thank you" cards throughout our lives. They are now such a part of my subconsciousness that when I was thinking in letter format my thoughts almost always came out as" thank you" cards.
Here we go!
Dear Brownish-Purple 1998 Town and Country Mini-Van,
Thank you so very much for waiting two whole days after the Subaru was fixed of its faulty battery wiring before starting into your newest attempt at total breakdown. The issues we are now facing that could be either your battery or your alternator are frustrating, but would have been so much more so had the Subaru also been broken at the time. Your graciousness and patience is so appreciated. If I did something to make you do this, like suggest we put off your retirement for a few extra months to save a little money, I apologize. But really, this reaction is a little extreme, don't you think?
Yours for Journeys Near and Journeys Far (Unless this Newest Fix is Too Expensive),
The Chauffeur
Dear Kind Man With the Large Red Truck and Birkenstocks in the Walmart Parking Lot,
I cannot express my gratitude enough for your kindness yesterday. I pretty much waylaid you in the parking lot, one small item in your hand, it was obviously supposed to be a quick trip for you. But when I asked you if you could please, just possibly, jump start my minivan, you didn't even sigh deeply or pause for thought. You even helped me push my car down the parking aisles so I could move closer to your spot because with the killer front parking spot I scored there was no way the cars around me were going to be moving anytime soon. You are awesome. You are my hero. You made my son so happy, because he was only 20 minutes late for the birthday party he was supposed to attend instead of having to miss it all together and take a long walk home.
I will never forget your selfless kindness to a total and complete stranger,
Damsel in Distress
Dear Neighbors,
Thank you very much for your willingness to drive two of us to church tomorrow since we can only fit five in our second car. We promise to make you some cookies in the afternoon to show our gratitude. We will be arriving by foot.
Your Home Teachees,
The Chaos
My Dearest,
Thank you for making the baby laugh so much tonight while you were getting him ready for bed. I loved hearing his baby belly giggles bouncing down to my ears and landing in my heart, light, warm and poppy like the bubbles in the hot, soapy water I was using to wash the dishes. And the fact that the farm animal noises you were making to give him the giggles were so funny, made my soul all the more buoyant.
Forever I'll Be,
Yours
Dear Spirit of Discernment,
Thank you so much for that impulse I was given yesterday to purchase two large plastic bins to put my 200 pounds of wheat into for storage. And thank you for making me the kind of OCD person that would put them to use right away instead of setting them next to the wheat until I got around to doing it. I only got 7 of my eight bags into them, but the one that didn't fit was broken into by a mouse today. I am so grossed out, but also so glad it was just the one bag.
Ever Your Servant,
The Proud Owner of 175 Pounds Of Wheat
Dear Spirit of that Little Brown Field Mouse,
Thank you for going quickly so we didn't have to see you suffer. I am sorry about the traps. I just don't want to have to replace all my food storage. There is plenty of good eats out in the field. Could you pass that on to your mouse buddies please? If it makes you feel any better, after we found you only 1 hour after the traps were set, we decided that on Monday we will be forking out the $8 for the humane traps rather and tossing the 4 for $2 snap traps we currently own.
Deeply Sorry,
Two Conlins Who Are Now Considering a Conversion to Jainism
Dear Friends of the Lesser Party,
Thank you so much for coming to my Thursday night toy party. I had been dreading it and wanting to cancel on multiple occasions because I hate 'those' kinds of muliti-level marketing parties, and no one wanted to come because they hate them too. I know you came mostly in solidarity, because you are my friends, not for the toys even though they are pretty cool. When the doorbell rang more than once, instead of feeling like I should sing Lesley Gore's "It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To," I felt like singing James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend." It was a small party, but very enjoyable only because you were there.
If You Ever Find Yourself Scheduling a Party of This Variety,
I'm There
Dear New Basement,
Thank you for being a perfect location for the girls' night party on Friday. While the creativity for the great games which really made the party goes directly to Shaina, your fuzzy carpet, party seating, conveniently located bathroom, and distance from the children and husband trying to sleep all combined to make it a perfect night. You were lucky last night! From 7pm until just after 1am you contained many of the best women in this entire city. Women I am so blessed to call friends! Because of you and your newness which prompted the party, Basement, there was laughter and good food, more laughter and great discussion, even more laughter and crazy party games, a little bit of peeing in the pants and wonderful friends, in my life last night. For that, I am forever grateful.
Still Enjoying Your New Carpet Smell,
Colleen
Dear Three-Year-Old,
Thank you so much for the moment today when you stretched your arms wide and asked in your darling little voice, "Mommy, why is your bum so HUUUUUUUUGE?" You said it just like that! As if the drawing out of the word "huge" would help to emphasize the time it takes to look from one edge of my backside to the other. You have motivated me to work harder at my exercise routine and eat a few less treats...at least once the holidays are over. I love your honesty.
Keep it up!
One Mother of a Bum {there's a triple meaning in that one}
Dear Patiently Waiting Birthday and Christmas Gifts,
I am so thankful for the excitement you are going to bring to my family members! I am dying of eagerness to have you be known, but I promise not to reveal your secrets. There are many great reasons to shop early, but I am finding it so hard to wait. I don't know if I can do this every year. I might have to wait until December again in 2011. But for now, just thinking about you gives me little thrills!
Impatient in October,
The Birthday Fairy and Christmas Elf
6 comments:
Dear Collen,
Thanks for playing! I'm sorry I missed the both Lesser Party AND the Greater Party this week! I'm glad you felt loved and both were a success.
A word of advice: You should keep the inhumane mouse traps. The other ones don't work. Trust me -- I know. I also have the number of a great exterminator, should the need arise.
I'm glad you still have 175 pounds of wheat!
Love,
Heidi
Delightful. And it's finding gratitude in the midst of chaos sometimes.
Love your letters. I'm thinking I should make a new blog, devoted only to letter writing. It's great fun, isn't it?
What a fun idea - I hope to write some of those for my blog, got to read some more and start my brain thinking in letter format! Love your letters, love your blog
I'm stealing this idea for my blog. Now if only I could write them as wonderfully as you do.
Love you!
I love these notes. Oh poor car. and yuck to the mice. I wish I could come to girls night it sounds like so much fun.
Post a Comment