Luke has discovered he loves Cocoa Puffs. While I don't usually purchase sugary cereals, we had a box leftover from decorating Ben's BMX cake which he discovered. Now they are his favorite, replacing mini-corn dogs. I don't know which is worse, but he's getting calories, and he's taking them in of his own volition, so I try to close my eyes, give him a vitamin, and ignore what he's actually consuming.
Luke refused to participate in gymnastics; preferring instead to mope curled inside one of the padded tunnels. He is not a kid who can be talked into anything, no matter how hard I try. I guess that's a good thing in some ways, but on Monday, it was really frustrating. We went home early. Maybe it's because I let him have Cocoa Puffs for breakfast.
The afternoon was quiet with Luke sent off to bed for a nap, which he didn't take. But he was quietly playing, so it was OK. Josh was thrilled watching the wheat grinder do its job. I didn't get to making the bread, but I did make the best-ever cornbread to go with our delicious chipotle beef chili which we shared with the missionaries for dinner. Josh told everyone that the "wheat was homemade."It was fun driving the three kids who are home during the day around in the Subaru. It reminded me of the period of time after Josh was born when Adam was getting his MBA, before we got the van. Sardines along the back. There was something so perfect about those days, even though we didn't have two pennies to rub together.
Tuesday:
My first attempt at solo-breadmaking in the morning resulted in some really misshapen, slightly undercooked loaves. But boy were they delicious! The lesson in this: bread doesn't have to look perfect to be delectable. Can bread baking teach us some good lessons for life? Absolutely. I think I'm in love.
The kids' report cards came home. They were stellar. The boys got high 5's all around and big hugs and some kisses too.
It was actually cold enough that the house never warmed up during the day and I turned the heat on. I also brought my beautiful front-porch mum in at night to keep it safe from frost. The weather is cooling down, which makes me want to pop in Halloween movies and drink copious amounts of hot cocoa! I love it. But it's also good we're expecting 70's this weekend. My waistline does not need copious amounts of hot cocoa.
Wednesday:
My sister purchased a ticket to come visit us for five days encompassing Halloween weekend. Yay! Yay! Yaaaaaay!!!!!!! I have felt giddy all day. And I might have gotten a little misty with joy.

5 comments:
Those are good tidbits. I especially loved that you took a bath on your no-scout night. You deserve it!
Thanks for the mums. So lovely. What a great friend you are.
Enjoy time with sis!
Bread looks yummy! On the sugary cereal- after seeing how incredibly active kids are, I try to somehow rationalize that they'll have no problem getting rid of the extra sugar. Who knows! :)
A great synopsis! Glad it's a good week at your house!
I was so jealous when I saw your sisters post. dave actually mentioned a rode trip to visit next spring. YAY. Tell Luke I love cocoa puffs to but we never have them in the house. I hope gymnastics gets better. Keep going consistently and I am sure he will warm up soon. Bread looks awesome! I love homemade bread.
Beautiful bread!! And yea for Halloween and Leah!!!!
Post a Comment