Dear Little Benny Boo,

You have a little light inside you, Ben, that brings light into the hearts of others. I just love it. You are unusually compassionate for a six-year-old, and you have been this way for a long time. As a toddler, you would get so upset when Zach or one of your friends was upset. If you accidentally hurt someone while playing I think you sometimes feel worse than the person you hurt! You have always asked others if they are OK without being prompted. There is just a kindness in you that is so amazing. It is your gift to share.

I love your cleverness too. You are like a little mini-scientist. You love to explore this amazing world of ours. And you love knowing why. "Why?" is your favorite question, but you
really want to know! I can tell because you never forget once I have told you. There seems to be no limits to the things you create. You can use any old thing and make it into something amazing. You inspire your brothers and friends to do the same because they can see the joy you take in inventing and creating. I am so curious to see how this skill grows and what it embraces as you get older.

The way your small, but athletic body moves amazes me. You can climb trees like those guys at the Polynesian Cultural Center who shinny up the coconut trees in seconds. Really, I have seen you ten feet up in a tree where the first branch is five feet off the ground! Your running stride is so natural, like you were made to be a runner. And you never tire out. You love gymnastics because you can jump and fly and swing, showing off your "monkey skills," as you call them. Sometimes your coordination in the more organized sports can be a little off, and that is frustrating for you, but you work hard at all the things you set your heart on, even when they don't come naturally, and it pays off! You always improve so much when you are determined.

I love the way you dove into elementary school, like you have been waiting for your first day of school since you were born! You bring joy to your teacher with your enthusiasm for everything you do in class. You remember everything you read or are taught! Your memory is like a vise! And your talent with numbers always surprises me. Sometimes you get one of Zach's math questions right before he does! Plus, you are so happy to be a reader finally! You love being able to find answers for yourself, and to explore whole new worlds outside of our own.

You are such a Daddy's boy. Dad is your hero. You get so jealous when one of your brothers gets time with him and you don't get to go. It has been so hard for you to let Dad and Zach work on Zach's Pinewood Derby car without you! You also idolize your big brother Zach. You two are such great friends! But you guys are careful not to exclude Josh, who at only four-years-old can be difficult to deal with at times. Thank you for that, there's that compassionate side of you again. And you are so helpful with Luke. You help him when he needs it, you worry when he cries, you teach him and make him laugh. It is great! I know he is going to look up to you so much. And the time you and I have together, when we read in the sunshine, or talk about why things work like they do, or make something in the kitchen, we do love those times! I love that your family is your center.

The things you learn you truly take to heart. For example, you are learning what a "promise" is, that it is more than just saying the word, but also doing what you say. I believe you will do everything you can to fulfill your promises. You are the same way with things you are taught in church. You have such a strong knowledge that you are a child of God, that we all are children of God. For you it is more than saying the words you have heard others say, it is your truth, and I know it will bring you much happiness in life.
You have such a passion and joy for life. You have a deep conviction that life should be fair and everything should only bring happiness. When something doesn't come out that way it can seem like your tender heart is broken. Your sense of injustice is strong! These are great traits, so you keep fighting for what you know is right. But it is also good to see that you are learning to roll with the punches a bit more, because unfortunately, you will learn that life isn't usually fair at all.

I love that you are rarely found sitting around being bored, you can always find something to do, even if all you have to work with are a couple of sheets of paper and some tape! You are a wonderful son, Ben. If I could freeze time right now, right here, in these precious moments with you, I would. You are so loved, Benjamin! Happy Valentines Day!

6 comments:
Your love letters are adorable. Wonderful family history.
What an amazing little boy. I love how you have 4 boys and they are all so unique and different because you see it that way. I know that there are times they probably overwhelm and frustrate you (right?? c'mon now, throw me a bone!) but you would NEVER know it from reading your blog. Mother of the Year over here, people!!!
Cute kids. I love reading your blog. I sure hope you are printing it off and binding it b/c it's such a great journal/scrapbook for you!
Occasionally I browse and just look at pictures when I'm short on time. got to the picture with the girl and BANGS! It stopped me in my tracks. I'm glad I read that she styled them like that just for the dance!
Can I add 'dapper' to the list of words that describe Ben? Elise and I had this discussion about him on Sunday, where he looked, as always, like a little Dapper Dan!
Ben...I love your smiles and enthusiasm. And you are so creative. My $10 rock sits in the living room where I can see it, and it reminds me of you...love Nana
I will never forget your 100 monkey skills, and a sharp dresser too!
Post a Comment