Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick-or-Treating Super-Hero-Style

This is a conversation I have had 10 times today at least:

Josh: Mom, when is Halloween coming?
Me: Halloween is here now Josh! Today is Halloween.
Josh: Where is Halloween? Can I see it?
Me: No, Honey, Halloween is a day we celebrate, not something we can see.
Josh: Ohhh, Halloween is here, today!
Me: Yeah!
Josh: Can I see it?
Sometimes I just said, "No, Joshie, you can't, but you can have fun." Other times I tried to use the "It is a special day that only comes once a year, like your birthday" line, but since he thinks he had two birthdays this year (and another one is just a few days away, he's sure of it), that didn't help. I also tried to explain what it is we are celebrating...ummmm...yeah that came out something like, "We celebrate...." Here there was a long pause, then: "Candy...and costumes...." (and then under my breath) "and a long time ago it was a night to placate the dead to keep them from haunting you." What the heck is this holiday for now anyway?! So I pondered it for some time and then I had it...we celebrate being able to poke fun at the things we are scared of so they seem less scary. I tried this one out on Josh and guess what he said....
Josh: Oh, Halloween is a special day! And it's here! Can I see it?
You can't blame a mom for trying!
All, right, I just had to share. Now, on to the fun. We had another great Halloween night with our friends the Shevitz and Browns. Hannah was the Pink Super Girl, Zach was Superman and Madison was Princess Leia. Below are pictures from our Halloween night of spooking, treating and only a little tricking....
A good-looking group of spookies!

Yummy!

He would eat it all if we let him. He is our candy fiend! This is Madison, about whom Zach recently said, "I know who I am going to marry, and I think Madison has made up her mind too." Welcome to the family Madison!That's a lot of loot for little people (on that note, it's a lot for big people!). We let the boys pick out their 30 favorites and then we will give them 10 cents for each piece they give us after that. Pretty fair deal!

No comments: