Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

The Bits of Spring Break: March 19th Through 31st

A little more of March!
The Singsations choir was invited to open for the University of Puget Sound's traveling choir at First United Methodist Church in Downtown Colorado Springs.   Their choir teacher, Mrs. Reiff is an alumni.  The acoustics in the church were amazing, Zac had the chance to sing his lovely solo again, and it was fun for us all to hear a college choir.
March always comes with some amazing warm and sunny spring days, and I love that Ms. Glover (the middle school band director) let the kids enjoy it a bit with rehearsal outside.

Happy First Day of Spring!  We are ready!

I asked my mom how I was going to survive this thing that was coming so fast, because I honestly feel like a piece of me is breaking off (with all the painful, sad and confusing things that entails), and this is what she said, "I don't have advice, but I do know what it's like.  When the first one leaves, it is such a hole.  And think of when the first one leaves, not for school, but for a life.  Heartache.  Then the second one (or last one) leaves; the house is so silent.  But life does this crazy thing and gives you friends rather than children, and grandchildren who fill your life with happiness.  But that doesn't take away the sadness at this time.  It just gives hope for the future."  My mom is so wonderful and I wish everyone could have one like her.

Conference time!  I love 3rd grade spring conferences, when we get a little solo recorder performance.  It's so stinking cute!  We are so proud of all of our boys who are working hard to be successful students.

At this time last year I was full of anxiety over Luke getting close to starting middle school.  Considering the executive functioning issues he deals with, it was a legit kind of anxiousness.  But seeing all those "Usually" circles at conferences, that are so much more plentiful than the "Sometimes" circles, and not one single "Rarely" circle fills my mama heart with joy and pride in how hard he is working to be successful in school.  He's doing really well overall.  It's work.  A lot of work.  Not just for Luke, but for me, too.  And there are some really gnarly afternoons and evenings, when things just suck. Yes, it has not been perfect, and, thankfully, he didn't get one of these pages for French (we're just not going to focus on that one), but he's doing it, and doing it well! 

Date night at the Young Women's dinner and dance fundraiser had us all dancing like no one was watching--and it was a blast!
He was so NOT eager to drive that we had to force him to get his permit a year ago, but once he turned 16 in August, he was actually really ready to drive on his own.  So it was a long wait, but Ben is officially licensed!  Don't worry, Colorado drivers, he's one of the good ones!  Also, my babies are getting too old too fast!!!

Section 16 on a Sunday afternoon.

Making the best of our Spring Break at home with some daily activities, like How to Train Your Dragon 3.

I do not love the spring brownness of Colorado, it actually makes me feel a little blue, but I sure love these little biking buddies of mine!  Even when riding up hills is hard, and I have to ride suuuuuuper slowly behind the walking bike-pusher.  They are such good company!

Josh and I enjoyed a beautiful warm spring break morning on The Incline with Alexia and Eli.  I loved this precious time with my sweet magic middle and the chance to talk with my friend as we hiked our Colorado mountain trails.

Getting our rocket on with one of Tommy's Mel Science experiments on reactions that create gas, which, in this case, built up pressure and launched the test tube across the yard!

Bouncing out some spring break wiggles at Trampoline World with these two...

...while Josh went bowling with one of his favorite buddies, Jack and his awesome mom, Heather.

Now that he has his license, it was time that he learned to drive HIS car's manual transmission.  He picked it up so fast!  By the next day he took the Subaru out solo to get to a friend's house.  Seriously amazing!

We dabbled in a few stop motion projects over Spring Break.

Wrapping up Spring Break with pals at Skate City!
I received this incredible memoir from my almost-90yo uncle in the mail, a journal of his time working for Boeing in Aerospace.  SO cool!

No comments: