Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Bits: September 8th Through September 18th

More September Bits:
Four stinky boy feet ready for their essential oil massage nightly routine.  They don't let me "accidentally" forget.

This is one fantastically clean van!  After not one, but TWO boys had carsickness incidents over the Labor Day weekend, we thought it best to give it all a good scrub down.

Helping Josh's 5th grade class create their own mini water cycles during science time at school.  I'm really enjoying volunteering at the kids' school this year.

Growing up, my sister and I played all kinds of elaborate imaginative games, including the kid classic "hot lava monster."  So it makes my heart all fuzzy when Luke and Tommy play just like Leah and I did.  One of my favorites is "Carrots of Doom," like the lava game, they can't touch the wood floor (which reminds them of carrots, hence the name) when the kitchen light is on (or the Carrots of Doom are on), unless they have the "magic tie" (a rope).  There are about 50 more funny little rules to this one.  It's a crack up!  Unless I'm trying to get them out the door for school.  Then it's just irritating.
Picture Day volunteer!  I've been surprised to find that the free time I thought I'd have after the kids started back to school is pretty limited with all the little tasks I've lined up for myself, including a lot of volunteering at the school.  I'm glad to be busy.  I'm still getting used to this no-kids at home thing, and I like to feel needed.

These five boys all play soccer together and all five finished in the top ten at the Palmer Lake meet.  So cool!
Ben placed FIRST at his second cross-country meet up at the Palmer Lake Trail Head.  He was so speedy and finished well ahead of the second place 7th grade boy.  WOOOOOT!

We are having a summery heatwave right now, dry and hot, but interspersed among all the sweltering days, we have had a few that testify of an imminent fall...and the winter that comes right on its heels.  As I sweat through these September days feeling annoyed, I am trying to remember that our winters are so long and it's OK to have summer linger a little, even if I think I am ready for sweater weather.

I remember watching the horrific evens of September 11th, 2001 unfold, holding this darling little chunk of a boy extra tight.  My love for my little family gave me the best reason to hope on, carry on and believe in the power of good as we faced the uncertainty of a future in a new reality that held potential for so much evil and destruction.  I am so grateful for all the ways I have witnessed the light shining through the darkness--then and since.

Having two Olympic-hopeful fencers share their inspiring thoughts and talents at the Reading Olympics kick-off assembly for AIES is one of the neat things about living in the same city as the Olympic Training Center.  So fun for the kids and adults alike to see them in action, and they were really stand-up guys.  We hope we can root for them in 2016!

This is pretty much how I feel after every long run as I train for my half-marathon at the end of October.

Family Dance at AIES: Night at the Museum theme.  Clockwise from upper left: Josh and Eli sell treats and drinks at the 5th grade fundraiser; Tommy with his favorite new kindy friend, Kate; my pirate and ancient Roman citizen, straight out of the museum; Luke and Cooper cutting a rug; Josh and Eli shaking a leg; me and my cuties.  We missed Adam and the two older boys, who were at Ben's team dinner.

Ben's team dinner!  We sure love this team.  It's a perk of membership when your coach's wife is a professional caterer.  YUM!  Archie is Zac's Pride coach, too (when he plays club again in the spring), so he was happy to tag along.

How Luke watches soccer.

Tommy's team won their first game of the season!  I think Tommy touched the ball more during this game than during the entire spring season.  More soccer, less waving to Mom and Dad!

Am I an embarrassing mom by making Zac and his friends pose for a picture when I dropped them off at the RHS Football tailgating party?  No.  Am I a stalker mom because I took a picture of them through the window after they got out of the car?  Yes, yes I am.
Gentle twilight.

One of my favorite pictures from our weekend games.  Tommy's big thumbs up for Ben's team's 1-0 win in the State Cup Quarterfinals.  Ben had a beautiful no-look assist for the goal by Jake.  Semifinals, here we come!

I think Tommy's trying to say that when President Uchtdorf said that the church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints, he truly included all.  Even Swamp Monster and Darth Vader.

Two huge smiles for two fun races!  Luke and Tommy ran the first of their three Landsharks races and had a great time.  I was so proud of Luke who ran the entire mile, without walking once.  Tommy was so happy with his half-mile finish: "I got middle place, Mom!"

It was a crazy week with Adam out of town for work in Everett.  He got to spend an evening having dinner with his family, but the rest was filled with meetings, team building and more meetings.  We are so grateful for work he enjoys that also supports our family, but BOY OH BOY am I glad to have him back home!  It is not easy juggling our boys' evening activity schedule alone.

Sunrises around here are also pretty lovely.

I don't have a lot of experiences with first place medals, so I was thrilled to receive this in the mail.  I am pretty darn proud of this accomplishment and of the amazing women runners I was able to team with.

Ben placed 1st again at the Air Academy meet hosted by Timberview.  The boy has wings on his feet!  This time he came in 4th overall, behind only three 8th grade boys.  I'm so impressed!

This is Ben's middle school agenda, a required school supply item provided by the school to keep the kids organized and help them be respondable for their assignments.  It went out to every student in all three grades, so they never forget that respondability is a valued quality at our school.  Ben forgot an assignment last week and I told him it was very irrespondable of him to do so.  When Ben leaves for school in the morning we wave and call, "Don't forget to be respondable today!"  We've been having too much fun with this pretty major spellcheck fail.  Haha!

A sweet throwback that popped up in my Facebook memories this week.  On a road trip with my darling boys while Tommy was still cooking!

Field Day fun!  I love seeing my boys in their element, but we were all exhausted at the end!  Volunteering for these full-day events at the school always makes me even more grateful for our awesome teachers who have the energy to devote to our kids.

Hoping that switching back to old sturdies from minimal runners will help with the places I feel like my body is falling apart these days.

No comments: