High school, middle school and elementary school. It's our first year of many where we will be spread across three schools.
The
boys looked all shiny and new, ready for their first day on Monday.
Zac left first, walking to his first day of high school with our
neighbor, Josiah. I was a little sad not to drop him off, but I wanted
him to do his thing, so I watched them go until they turned the corner,
the tissues I had grabbed fully employed. About fifteen minutes later, I
got a call..."Hi Mom, I forgot my...." "On my way!!!" I think it was a
little message from God, "You are still needed." So glad He knows what
we need.
Then it was time to take the elementary boys. I
donned my large, dark sunglasses, as I do every year, best for
concealing my weepy eyes, and off we went. The boys were so excited,
and Tommy was thrilled. This has been on countdown for a long, long
time, so it was hard not to get caught up in his enthusiasm even though I
was feeling sad.
The boys' line-ups are in three
completely different parts of the school this year. Luke on the side
closest to home, Tommy in the front, Josh on the far side. After hugs
goodbye and wishes for a happy first day, Adam walked Luke to his line
and Josh confidently went by himself to his, while I waited with our big
kindergartner. We checked in with his teacher, and then waited for the
bell. Tommy turned to hug me several times, and just after the bell
rang he gave me one final hug and told me, "It's OK, Mama, you can go
now." And off he went, turning to wave every few steps until he was in
the building. Glad I wore those sunglasses!
Ben headed
off to school on Tuesday, walking, as usual, with his best pal, Micah.
He was excited for the year to start because he enjoys his friends and
enjoys learning...and also not so excited to lose the independence and
freedom of the summer. Plus, he thought it was weird that he'd be the
only Conlin at his school this year. He's never been the only Conlin at
any school and never will be again until he graduates! Although I had
been through the excitement and sadness of sending off the other boys
the day before, I still got a little misty to see Ben go.
It
is one of those bittersweet times of year, when I am freshly reminded
how true it is that the days are long but the years are short, when I
reflect on where the boys and I have been over the blissful and
challenging years of motherhood, and I remind myself how wonderfully our
boys are growing up. I always try to be brave and hold to the hope
that, as the saying goes, we have given them roots and must give them
wings. Happy first day of school, Conlin Chaos!
No comments:
Post a Comment