Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

What's "Bored?"

Not only do I tell my boys that I love them all the time, sometimes I tell them that I love their brains.  "I love your brain, Zac, in a very non-zombie kind of way." (or Ben or Josh or Luke or Tommy)  It's weird, but I can't help but say it when they do or say something that just makes my eyes blink in total stunned, happy surprise--how did they even THINK of that?! 

All of my boys elicit this reaction from me on a regular basis, but today's post is about Ben in particular.  Ben's brain amazes me!  I'd love to be in it for a day.  He never seems to even consider boredom as an option.  He is constantly seeking things to study, engage, explore.  He doesn't sit back and wait for suggestions, he thinks of something he'd like to do or know more about and he does it.  The internet is a treasure trove of ideas for him.  I don't even know where he gets the ideas for what to seek out online because we don't let the kids just browse around, but he always finds the coolest experiments or ideas.

Great ideas can also be found in books--and not only does he find them, but Ben actually does them!  Amazing.  :)  An old time favorite of his is 101 Things to Do Before You Grow Up.  He's been trying things from that one for a couple of years now.  He just spent the last of his birthday money from Grandma and Grandpa on a new Origami book, Origami Ooh La La. Knowing my boys' love of science, I picked up Naked Eggs and Flying Potatoes at the store and the second Ben got his hands on it he wanted to do every experiment in the book...starting...right...NOW.  The best part is that his curiosity is contagious.  His brothers often latch onto his schemes and everyone becomes busily engaged.  He just has the most inquisitive, restless, eager mind I know and I love watching it at work, and I definitely love feeding it!

Here are a few of my recent favorite Ben explorations:

1. The stick bomb.  This is an idea Ben found online.  He looks a bit the evil genius in this picture, but it's the only photo I was able to snap because I was on video duty.  When experimenting with this Ben learned that CRAFT sticks are NOT the same as popsicle sticks (which don't work for a big, long bomb) and that it is really important to make sure the stick bomb does not get connected to any of the carpet fibers along the entire length of the bomb.  So. Fun.

2.  Legos.  The best standby activity on the planet.  Ben popped that sweet creation below out in about 20 mintues.  I hate to say it, but it would have taken me, um, well, a good deal longer and maybe some planning draft work to put something like that together. 
3. Advanced origami, including polyhedra.  Ben could be accurately labeled an origami addict.  Josh and Zac love it too, but Ben is never satisfied.  He is ALWAYS folding paper.  There is origami everywhere in my home.  Happy!
4. Kitchen science.  Even though it was a super quick experiment in Charles's Law (increasing temperature on a gas will increase the volume of the gas) the Soap Souffle was our favorite experiment in the Naked Eggs book to date!  Yes, that giant pillow of white in the photo below was once only one fourth of a bar of Ivory Soap.  Awesome!!!


5 comments:

ashley said...

Great book suggestions, Colleen. We're always on the look-out for fun hands-on science. Now this explains the soap photo on facebook!

Alea said...

Awesome awesome awesome Ben!!

Jen said...

Great Job Ben. I'l have to check out that book. I have wanted to do the soap thing for a long time. I just need to remember to get some at the store. I find Origami around for months after you guys leave every summer. I love it!!!

Candace said...

So cool! And I would have loved to see those stick bombs go off! I saw a couple down stairs and thought it was awesome. And Ivory soap...who knew!

Heidi said...

I'm totally impressed with that kid's brain, too!