Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Friday, January 11, 2013

Thanks Heidi! The Liebster

I believe it's been a couple of years since I did one of these little "about me" kinds of posts.  When mommy blogs first boomed the "tag" posts were all over the place, but not so much any more.  But I think they are fun.  Fun to read funny little bits about friends, fun to share little bits about me, fun to look back upon and roll my eyes over when I am older and wiser.  So when my friend Heidi nominated me for a Liebster, not only did I think it was really nice of her to do so, I was in!  Thanks, Heidi!  Thanks for still reading, even though the blog is private!
Liebster is apparently German for "favorite," although I had to look it up on Google translate just because of the "-ster" part.  If you were a teen in the early nineties, perhaps you remember the -ster trend.  Maybe it was just a Bellevue thing, but I feel like for awhile there a lot of people were nicknamed with a -ster at the end.  Such as, "Hey!  It's the Col-ster!"  I think it came from SNL or Pauly Shore or something like that.  Oh my gosh, the nineties were dorky!  Anyhow...Google translate said it meant "dearest," so basically the same thing, AND a real word in spite of the fact that it ends in -ster.  The Liebster Blog Award is passed from one blogger to another as a way of saying, "I love your blog!  Keep it up!"  
Here is what you do when you receive the Liebster :



1.  Post 11 random things about myself.

2.  Answer the 11 questions my nominator set for me.

3.  Create 11 questions for my nominees.

4.  Nominate 11 other bloggers with fewer than 200 followers (no tag-backs).

5.  Go to each of their blogs to tell them about their nominations.


All set?  Here we go!

Eleven Random Facts (Wow! This was hard.  It took me a few days to come up with them!): 

1.  I don't like talking for long periods of time on the phone.  This has always been true, even when I was a teenager.  I'd rather get together for a pedicure or lunch than chat for a long time on the phone.  This is especially true if I have to talk on my cell phone.  It has nothing to do with disliking the people I am talking with or being bored with conversation.  I just don't like being on the phone for a long time, that's all.  However, sometimes it's necessary to stay connected with those you love who are far away, and that makes it worth it.

2. I like food a little over-browned--not burnt, but just before burnt.  I think that's why I like roasted vegetables so much, when the edges get browned and crispy...mmmmm.  If something comes out of the pan or dish and the edges are darker and crispier than the rest, I want those edge pieces!  The exception to this is baked goods; with them I like the soft middle pieces.

3.  If I could have any car, that didn't need to have room for car seats or passengers, I would have me a nice shiny red Dodge Viper or an old navy blue rebuilt Studebaker truck.  From the day I first discovered them I have always loved these two cars.    

4. I have had 3 dogs in my life, Betsey (springer spaniel), Samantha (black lab mix) and Ruby (golden retriever).  All girls, all great dogs, even if they do shed and make my life hairy--which drives me crazy.

5. I really want some chocolate mousse right now.  It will be good when the photo of Tommy and I making this delicious, tempting, decadent treat for New Year's Eve is moved to the "older posts" page on the blog.

6.  My last Facebook status update said, "Zac just informed me that he will celebrate his 13th birthday on Friday the 13th of December, 2013!!! Agggghhh!! Too much superstition packed into one day! :)"  While I have no real concerns about this date, in fact, I think it's really cool, I am a slightly superstitious person.  I still kiss my hand and then touch the ceiling of my car when I go through a yellow light and make wishes on the eyelashes I shed.

7. I really like organization; I could be a professional organizer if people didn't mind me being bossy.

8. I am fascinated/infuriated/intriqued by politics, but I don't like to talk politics because I rarely see political conversations remain cordial.  What could be interesting and informative discussions become personal attacks very quickly, which is just too bad because the best part about politics is debate.

9.  I lack any kind of skill in managing money, but I'm always trying to be better!

10. I am a mild hypochondriac, but I try to ignore all my paranoid health concerns because I know they are just in my imagination...or are they?!   

11.  I really like bubble baths.

 Eleven Questions from Heidi:


1.  When was the last time you brushed your teeth?  Last night, didn't get to it this morning because I was rushing from my workout to the shower to my YW meeting.  I apologize to all who have been in the path of my breath today!

2.  How many days per week do you make your bed?  If you count straightening the sheets and comforter, maybe twice a week, but if it means tucking the sheets back in, making the pillows look nice, etc...none.  Maybe once every four weeks.  It was never a habit I cultivated and really, who is ever in my room but Adam and I and my little boys, who just mess up my bed anyway.  Not a priority.

3.  What does the last text you received say? "No, not yet.  Will let you know when we decide."  This is from my dear mother-in-law, who, along with her hubby, is in Palm Springs right now.  They planning to stop by to see my Grandma's condo in Rancho Mirage, but we need to let the gate guard know they are coming, so I am waiting to hear when they plan to arrive.  

4.  If you could do anything you wanted for a day, what would that be?  I'd want to be reading a good book sitting out in the warm sunshine on the dock at Lake Roesiger, no interruptions, with a punch bowl full of lime slush all to myself.

5.  Are most of your friends real or virtual?  I am going with real.  Thanks to Facebook, I have a lot of virtual acquaintances and old friends who I was close with a long time ago but who have become virtual friends because of time and distance, but the people who I would truly count as good friends are all people who I connect with in person or by voice as often as possible.

6.  With how many adults have you spoken in person today? Nine!  That's pretty good for a weekday!  Adam, my YW presidency members, my neighbor as we walked home from dropping off our kindergarteners, a few Costco employees, and Lydia for whom I picked up a few things at Costco and dropped by her house.

7.  What did you have for lunch (or your last meal) today?  Leftover lemon chicken veggie soup.  YUM!

8.  If you could go to lunch with anyone, with whom would you dine?  The response to this really is based on a false assumption that if I were ever to sit down for a chat with this person I would actually be able to be articulate and not star-struck, but I would love to have lunch with Sheri Dew.
9.  Are you hungry yet?  Or craving grown-up conversation?  I'm always ready for a bite to eat.  But too tired for conversation tonight.

10.  If your toenails are painted, what color are they?  OPI's "I Only Drink Champagne."  Which not only do I not only drink champagne, I don't drink it at all, but I thought it would be a fun color for New Years!  It's a pale golden color, oddly similar to that of my skin.

11.  What's your favorite Gavin story?  How to choose?!  I guess I still love the one where he smashed bananas all over the dining room table and then used it like a slip-n-slide.  Oh man!  It is like a snapshot of Gavin: genius creative inventiveness and advanced conceptualization of complete and total entertainment value mingling with absolute mischievousness! :)  I think he'd make a great roller-coaster designer one day.

Eleven Questions for my Nominees:
1. What is your favorite treat in the summer/in the winter?
2. Are you happy with how your body looks?
3. If you could have any career, what would it be--and you can't say "Mom"?
4. What is the first childhood memory that pops into your head?
5. What is your favorite car?
6. Where is the most beautiful place you have been to?
7. What did your last Facebook status update say? 
8. Where did you honeymoon?
9. If you could live in a novel, which one and why?
10. Do you believe people should always get vaccines if they are available, why or why not?
11. What is your favorite joke?

Eleven Nominees (over half of whom I will be pleasantly surprised if they do this):
1. Alea at Franklin Family (private)
2. Jen at Shevitz Circus
5. Kendra at Perigos--Who We Are
6. Ashley at Serafin Scene
8. Beth at Bloggin' Browns
9. Alissa at Maxwell House Moments
10. Diana at Boy Crazy
11. Maggie at Hsu Family

4 comments:

Jen said...

As soon as I saw this on Heidi's page I knew you were going to nominate me. I need a few days to think and I don't have 11 friends who blog so I unfortunately it will die with me. Your answers remind me why we are such good friends. Besides teaching preschool together you can come join me in my professional Org. business. We really need to live in the same city since we both hate talking on the phone. expect a lot more texts from me. :)

Alea said...

I'm ready!

Angie said...

challenge accepted!! haha

I know we never talk on the phone (i hate it too), but please know that I consider myself your real friend. :)

Heidi said...

I can't believe it has taken me so long to read this. I loved every word.