Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

A {Really} Early Birthday Party for Zac

Zac won't turn 12 until December, but his birthday dream was to have a little party with his closest buddies at Elitch Gardens, Denver's Six Flags amusement park, which is only open part of the year.  I, being a winter birthday gal myself, totally understood Zac's desire for a fun "summery" birthday party.  When I was around Zac's age I celebrated my "half" birthday with my friends two years in a row, in June, because I wanted to have my party at a NW warterpark called Wild Waves: not a fun place to be in December.  So it was with understanding, excitement and pleasure that I drove Zac and his two very cool pals, Nathan and Grant, up to Elitch Gardens on Friday to give Zach his birthday wish.

The boys had a blast, spending part of the day on the amusement park rides and part of the day at the water park.  Grant had a pretty big fear of heights that he was battling at Elitch--a park made for thrills, and opted out of most of the roller coaster rides, but he braved a couple of waterslides that had a pretty lofty starting point.  Zac and Nathan had no fear though and took on both the Mind Eraser and Sidewinder roller coasters and The Edge waterslide.  But being the awesome friends they are everything else they chose to do they made sure was within Grant's comfort zone.  As a Disneyland snob, I was a little annoyed at the inefficiency of the way the park was run, but I was able to put my irritation aside when I saw how much fun the boys were having together and that Zac was having an amazing time--having the birthday celebration he had been imagining since he first conceived of the idea back in early spring.  Yes!

As an extra bonus to the {very early} celebration, our neighbor across the street, Marci, emailed me Sunday morning to let me know she had a bike that she was interested in giving away that her son had long ago outgrown (he's in college now) and had barely been used.  It was a perfect fit for Zac!  And a nice Schwinn bike with gears and shocks and in great condition!  We had been planning on getting him a bike for his birthday anyway so he could ride to school, and his current bike was getting a little small and had no gears for the hills.  It was like an answer to prayer that we hadn't even prayed!  Wonderful! 
















3 comments:

Jen said...

fun times. Great idea to celebrate in the off season. Will most definitely have to do that with Max someday.

Heidi said...

I forgot that Nathan went to Zac's school. He's such a great kid. How did you get the pic inside the waterslide? So cool!

Candace said...

I remember your half birthdays. Wanted to have some summer fun with your friends. Happy half-birthday, Zac!