A couple of months ago Tommy failed another hearing test. The assumption was that the tubes that were placed last summer had fallen out with his growth, as they are supposed to do. Unfortunately, his growth hadn't been large enough (or, really, angled enough--look it up, fascinating stuff!) for his tubes to be draining properly yet. So it was time for a second round of tubes. {DREAD!}
Our ENT, who is an ear specialist only, had suspicions that Tommy's adenoid might be large enough that it was affecting the functionality of his eustachian tubes, so Doctor Shaw referred us to another doctor, Doctor Cichon, who would not only place the tubes, but also remove the adenoid. After a long wait to get into this particular specialist, Adam took Tommy in for a pre-operative visit while I was at DOV Camp. It was decided that, indeed, Tommy should have both tubes in and adenoid out. Today was the day.
Tommy, being two-and-a-half and having developed two-and-a-half-year-old fears, was a little more hesitant going into the surgical center this time. But he is also a trusting little boy, and with Adam and I by his side, he was still pretty smiley and chatty before the surgery, although I could tell he was also a little uncomfortable and wary. It was really hard for me to watch Tommy go under last time, there is just something eery about watching your little baby's eyes roll back and his body go limp, plus I think because I was the last parent he saw before he fell asleep he was mad at me when he came out of anesthesia last time and wouldn't let me hold or comfort him when he woke up, so this time I sent Adam with him. I needed to be able to hold my baby when he came out of anesthesia! Tommy cried for me when they wheeled him away from me. And I cried for him too. What an awful feeling.
The surgery went well. It was longer this time, with the adenoidectomy, but it was happily uneventful. The doc told us that Tommy's adenoid was covering 80% of his airway when they took it out. Its removal should help with all kinds of things, including his loud snoring and drainage, but most importantly, his hearing.
Tommy was really groggy and pretty cranky waking up. His throat was sore from the intubation, and he was really sleepy and hungover from the anesthesia. He had a bit of a cruddy-sounding cough. His tummy was also a little upset, but we didn't find that out until we were driving home and he threw up in the car. Ew. We sat in the recovery area for a long time waiting for the cough to clear while he dozed on my lap {bliss!}. He didn't really perk up until we were leaving the surgical center. I think he was just happy to be getting out of that scary place and heading home to somewhere he loves and feels safe. Other than the car-barf, he had a great afternoon. I think he just had to get the belly upset out and then he was fine. He ate and drank a lot and took a long nap in the afternoon that not only destroyed any crankiness he had left, but also gave him complete spazzy energy all evening.
I'm just relieved it's over and that Tommy is clearly feeling like good ol' Tom. The doctor said that Tommy's eustachian tubes were looking like they are angling nicely and this will probably be the last round of tubes we need (yes!), however Tom's tonsils were quite large, and they may need removal at a later date (no!). I sure hope not. I almost wish we had just gotten rid of them while we were there today, it was an option that we opted out of, darn it, even if it meant a week-long recovery. Even though it was a simple, common surgery, it was a scary experience for Tommy, and for Adam and me too. I've felt emotionally drained all day. Although it was a no-fun day, I am sure Tommy's hearing will improve and that all this will be worth it.
5 comments:
I do love how fast they bounce back. Still amazed at the 80%. Hopefully his snoring will lessen by a significant degree. Love the cap Adam is sporting. I got to wear one of those last week myself. Nobody took pictures though. :)
That is amazing, I am glad that he is doing good. On Zach's last round of tubes we did everything for him, his tonsils, adnoids and then his tubes. He is so much better since he had that done, and he was I think 4 or maybe 3 1/2. I know how you feel. Glad he did such a great job.
I loved that he had all his snuggles with him. Someone said that they didn't think they took adenoids out anymore, but to hear that they were covering 80% of his tubes, whoa! I wish I could have been there for hand-holding... <3
oh i'm so glad he is doing better! and good call in sending in Adam, it would be hard to watching them go under.
Oh, sad. But I'm so glad for the good prognosis and that he's feeling normal again.
Post a Comment