The first time we almost didn't see Snow Patrol's Denver 2012 concert was back when our friend Chad first got his hands on tickets to the show. This is the weekend I usually attend BYU's Women's Conference, and up until a couple of months ago I thought I'd be going this year too. But one thing and then the other fell through, and I ended up deciding not to go. There is always next year! Fortunately, Chad and Adri hadn't asked anyone else to the show yet, not knowing which other of their friends were quite such rebels as Adam and I are, so when I called Adri to let her know we'd be here, we were still in! Thank goodness!
The second time we almost didn't see Snow Patrol's Denver 2012 concert was Friday night, the night of the show. We had a delicious dinner at a cute little Denver pub called Park and Co. and then walked the 4 blocks to the Fillmore Theater. And here is where we ran into some trouble. The show was strictly for ages 16 and up, and Adri had left her ID at home in Colorado Springs. While my dear friend does look younger than her 30-something years, we all thought under 16 was a stretch, but the woman at the door we were supposed to enter through would not let her in. We were about to cry a little bit, especially Chad, who is a huge fan, and then find something else fun to do in Denver on a Friday night--decidedly not return to Dave and Buster's--when Adam had the brilliant idea to have their babysitter find Adri's ID and text a photo of it to Chad's phone. With the hope that it would be enough in our hearts, we returned to the door to plead a bit. The bouncer woman considered this possibility seriously enough to call a supervisor, who took one look at Adri, told her she would be unable to have the "over 21" Heineken bracelet (which really wasn't a problem for us non-drinkers anyway), and let her in. Thank goodness times two!
It was an awesome concert at a fantastic venue. The tickets Chad got through work gave us VIP access, which would have given us a great view of the show, if the VIP area wasn't over-full because the band covered up half the balcony in the VIP lounge with their set. But it was OK, it's a small enough venue that we could see just fine through the heads on the floor, and it still felt very cool to have our VIP stickers on, plus we could use the bathrooms in the VIP lounge that had no line. Snow Patrol has so many great songs, Adam and I have been eagerly downloading more of them into our iTunes since the show, and they had a fun rapport with their audience. We rocked the night away! And of course, we could be attending a reading of the U.S. Congressional Budget Summary with Chad and Adri and still have a blast. The concert was a real treat!
I have to share one anecdote that illustrates why I adore my pal Adri: as we were walking around before the show started, admiring the coolness of the Fillmore theater Adri said, "You know, it was built in 1907." I love that she is the kind of gal who knows that kind of thing!

6 comments:
This post had me laughing so hard. Poor Adri, but then again, kinda cool to look so young. Glad you got in the concert!
What fun!!!
Oh, Adri. Such a cute little girl. I mean mother of four.
What fun! We saw Snow Patrol when I was pregnant with Owen, and there are still moments from that show that I remember every time we hear the songs. =)
Thanks for the fun memories, Conlins. As always! ;)
fun! I love Snow Patrol!
Post a Comment