As I matured and my faith deepened, the true meaning of Christmas became clear and the specialness and magical feeling of the season came from He that is The Source of All Good, Christ, and the joy of His birth, an event that has truly given me everything that is important to me in my life. Without the event we celebrate this season, my life would be void of all that is most important to me. And that is why I love the Christmas season now, and I love the events that bring that feeling of love for my Savior and the reminder that it is He whom we celebrate with gratitude home to my heart.
Therefore, while I still LOVE all the Christmas hubub, the songs, the stories, the planning, the food, the parties and gatherings with family and friends, the decorations, the shopping for gifts, the true treasures to me are the ones centered around the celebration of the baby in the manger who would grow to be the Savior of us all. Here are a few of the treasures I've been given so far this 2010 Christmas season:
Last night, after having some incredibly fun missionaries over for dinner, our family curled up in the Mojosac to watch our church's First Presidency Christmas Devotional, with beautiful music by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (I saw your mom, Adri!) and sweet lessons by our beloved First Presidency. I was surprised at how quietly the boys listened to the hour-long presentation as we snuggled beneath the cozy blankets. Even Luke seemed to settle silently into the little game he was playing with his toys, and stopped by his own choice to join us on the Mojosac soon after President Monson began his talk, sharing a pillow with his Dad. Tommy was in bed...which definitely helped with the quiet tone of the night. I think it was one of my favorite hours spent with my family in the past few months, and we've had some pretty great hours.
Saturday night we attended a creche exhibit at our church with hundreds of creches on display, loaned by church members, non-LDS Colorado Springs residents and retailers, and other local churches. There was a live nativity as well, and even though it was incredibly cold outside (sitting in the colder-than-ice metal chairs set up in the parking lot was a little like torture) the spirit that was there was palpable. Tears came to my eyes in the final moments of the presentation, as I looked from the woman playing Mary, holding the little baby in her arms in the manger scene, to the slide show of pictures depicting Christ's life from His birth through His resurrection that was projected onto a screen beside the manger.
And the creches were amazing! They were from all over the world, Jerusalem to Japan, large and small, handmade to priceless family heirlooms, a creche made of chocolate to one made of Legos. There was a children's room, with creches the kids could touch and play with, nativity scenes they could make out of paper and stickers, and costumes so they could act the Christmas story out. I've posted a few pictures of my favorite creches. My very favorite was the one lent by one of the local Catholic churches. It's at the bottom. All of the faces are beautifully sculpted and capture true human emotion. But the look on Mary's face as she gazes at her baby is truly moving: love, adoration, joy, peace. I feel like I can feel her feelings. When Adam and I, one day in the future, purchase a nice, fancy nativity, I want my Mary to look like that.
2 comments:
Thoughtful, beautiful and moving...thank you for reminding us.
I love your service tree idea. I might have to make one myself.
Post a Comment