Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Two Hands Old

You, my first baby, my little Zach, are now in the last year of being able to show your age using only two hands. To me, that is just unbelievable, 10 whole years, yet I also can't really remember life without you! So many of my most treasured memories include you. You, Zach, created my motherhood, and I love everything that makes you you because a lot of it makes me me.

As a baby, Zach, you were always so easy going. You shared your smiles like you knew how joyful they would make others. And boy, did they! They were contagious. When you smiled your whole face lit up with happiness, just like it does now. That smile is still contagious. You loved to cuddle and sit and read books. You enjoyed playing with friends, and never put up a fuss when they would take a toy from your hand, you'd just move on to something else that looked fun. You didn't want to make anyone upset, and you rarely were upset yourself. I can honestly only remember 2 tantrums you ever threw. You slept anywhere. You loved spending time with me, your Mama. You were a joy, and still are. You know, kiddo, all those traits that were part of you then, are still part of you now.

You are a fantastic oldest brother. You set a wonderful example for the little ones, and I honestly believe that a big reason that your brothers are who they are is because you are who you are. You guide them and teach them, even when you don't intend to. But that is one of the things that makes you so great. You are so often trying to do the right thing and be the best you that you can be, so the example you are setting is almost always a good one. Your in-chargeness can come out a little bossy sometimes, and that can certainly annoy your younger brothers, but you are usually just trying to lead them in the way you think is best, they just might not agree about what is best! You love to make them laugh, and you love to play with them; your friendship is so important to the brotherhood of all you boys, so I am so glad you count your brothers as friends.

You are incredibly athletic. You pick up every sport you try with ease. It is obvious how much you love playing sports and doing physical things. You are coordinated and balanced and strong. Soccer, basketball, baseball, football, roller blading, skateboarding: I am astounded at how easily they have come to you, and I am excited to see how you will improve in the sports you choose to specialize in as you get older.

You are intelligent and love school. I love hearing about the books you are reading, and reading the stories and poems you write. Your creativity and writing style have always been great, but they've really bloomed over the past year. It's probably because you read ALL THE TIME. I think it's your favorite leisure-time activity. But you aren't just literary, you solve math problems so quickly, and can solve them without even writing them down or showing work; it impresses me to no end! And science is your favorite subject. We had the best conversation about outer space just the other day. But you also aren't just left-brained. You love singing and music and art. You've always had a song in your heart, Zach, and I hope you always do.

You have a quiet faith that you build up by reading your scriptures and learning from them all that you can. You enjoy church these days, not only because you love the friends you have there, but because you love the Spirit you feel there. Your prayers have become so thoughtful and sincere; you are really thinking about what you are saying and Who you are talking to. I love hearing you pray because it's like hearing a bit about what you are feeling and thinking on any given day.

Your smiles still come with ease and still light up your entire face. You still love to be a good friend and don't mind giving up a little of your comfort to make a friend happier. You still let things roll off your back and are so easy going. You are still so full of innocence and have a youthful heart. So much like your littler self. But you are also growing up. You enjoy making people laugh and sharing your zany side. You are starting to be more responsible without being encouraged to do so all the time. I love the pleasure you get out of sharing a joke with Dad and I, or taking on a "grown-up" responsibility. You are becoming more than a son to Dad and I, you are becoming a friend.

I can't wait to see the young man you will become and are already becoming. You are a blessing to your family in innumerable ways. Love you, sweet baby Zach.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Happy birthday, dear sweet, wise, funny, amazing Zach! I'm with your mom; I can't believe your 10 years old! It seems like just yesterday you were born into this life bringing joyinto our lives. And it was just yesterday that you were 8, and we took our fabulous trip to DC together, which will always be in my heart. Looking forward to more special time with you... Love and blessings - Nana and Papa

ashley said...

Colleen, I can't believe they are 10!! It was so sweet to have a baby at Christmastime, but now it's just a wee bit hectic, don't you think :) Looks like you pulled off a fantastic party for Zach! Well done!