Adam had put the lights on the house the week before Thanksgiving. We never know when the weather is going to turn here (although it looks like it might not at all this year! grrrrr.), so we wanted to get the house done on a nice, warmish Saturday, but the house was all he did. The trees/bushes still were wanting, so following Thanksgiving, Adam, with much help from Ben (who loves all things manly and daring), got the trees all wrapped in their colorful robes while I worked on the interior lighting around the windows. Growing up, Adam's mom always did the bushes and trees each in one solid color but with a different color on each. Adam always loved the way that looked and has carried on that tradition to our yard. My parents always just did white lights, and I loved the quiet, pure brightness of it, so we carried that tradition on to our house. Our traditions have mingled. We are slowly making the transition to all LED, so for now we've got some "yellow" white lights and some "white" white lights. Maybe they are a little clashing, but oh well! I think it all looks great.
While in the tree "helping" dad put up the lights, Ben and Josh turned the tree into a house. Each branch was designated a specific room. My favorite was the limb that Josh is perched upon in the photo. That's the work-out branch. Best used for pull-ups, as Josh is demonstrating.
Fortunately we had some friends who were traveling for the holidays who had a fake tree we could borrow. The best part, we only put the front half of the limbs on so we could push the other flat side back against the wall. The half-tree fit perfectly...and it began Adam's love for "the fake tree." Ever since then he has not-so-subtly dropped hints that he would like to one day have a fake tree instead of a real one; hints such as, "Let's get a fake tree this year."
But no. I love going to live tree lots for the hunt! Walking around, choosing just the right one. Then cutting them down, letting the boys take turns at the saw. And two years ago when we got to go to the woods for a tree...amazing! I loved that adventure! Even if the tree was a little sparse.
But here, in CO, things that were once living don't last long, no matter how much water you give them. The temperatures on any given day swing so much, super cold, then super hot. Especially for a tree sitting in a window space. And it's SO dry here living things practically mummify in the winter. So if you put your tree up in early December, by the time Christmas rolls around the tree isn't looking so hot. As a matter of fact, it looks awful, and is dropping needles like crazy. Which wouldn't be too bad, because come Christmas the tree's use is over. But my biggest fear is that it might catch fire and burn our house to the ground.
And that's kind of what sold me. Yes, I gave in. This year Adam got his fake tree. And I have to admit. It looks pretty nice! (as long as you don't look too closely)
There was a proviso to this little fake tree agreement. We are getting a small real tree for the basement. We are hoping to go up to the woods again, but we have to find the time in the busy (but fun!) December weeks. It will probably be the weekend before Christmas, which means the tree will not be a tinder box by the time Christmas arrives. And my sense of tradition and the joys of family tree hunts will be satisfied. But at the same time I don't have to worry about my house burning down. Hey, don't judge me. :)
5 comments:
It all looks great. I am a lover of the white lights myself. grew up with a fake tree when I was on my own I always did a real tree. Now I think I am glad i don't have to deal with it at all although cleaning candle wax off 5 menorah's may take just as long as putting away christmas decorations.
Hmmm fake tree...what will the angel say?
I picked one up at Costco today (a real tree, that is). Cant' wait to set it up. I love your family picture in front of the tree. Great idea!
We've always had a fake tree (inherited from the parents). I do have fun tree-lot memories from when I was a kid, but you just can't beat the symmetry of a fakie. Plus, you can leave the light on and next year be all ready just 'plug and play!' :)
Thanks for the thoughts on the real vs. fake tree. I always had a real tree growing up. When Robert and I got married, I thought a fake tree was just wrong. But apparently live trees were twice as expensive in Provo as what I was used to in Houston, so I agreed to a fakie for our student budget. Last year, I got my wish and had a real tree, but it looks like we'll be using the plastic one this year and I feel so guilty. I want my kids to know what a real tree smells like. Well, I'm glad we're not the only family who flip flops. Thanks for the reminder of what the tree is really for . . . the memories.
Post a Comment