However, there is more. I'm not all that big on being high above the ground, nor do I feel very comfortable flinging my body into empty space off of high places. But I am big on overcoming things that make me afraid--in safe and controlled environments. I refuse to let my fears keep me from enjoying my life to the fullest. So I guess that is the real reason I found myself outside SANCA's "School of Flight" pavilion Saturday afternoon.
Our first step was to do the regular old step-off the platform and swing. Oh, I was freaked out! You can always tell when I am nervous about something because I become very quiet, and if you know me much at all, I'm not a quiet kind of girl. But when I am afraid I kind of have to go inside and do some inner talk, "You are going to be fine, you can do this, people do this all the time," stuff like that. Although the "people do this all the time" argument didn't really do much for me this time because my rational side kept saying to that calming inner voice, "No, they don't. People do not trapeze all the time."
We did some stretching and had some instruction by a member of the "flight team." Basically you clip into the safety line, climb the longest ladder in the world, get attached to more safety lines, lean out into space while a woman that you are sure weighs 20 pounds less than you anchors you to the platform, grab onto a bar that you are sure weighs 20 pounds more than you and is doing its best to pull you off the platform long before you are ready, listen to someone shout out "HUP!" and that means it's time to propel yourself into space. When you hear "hup!" again you are supposed to let go and fall towards the earth hoping the net, that was fine before you went up the ladder but suddenly looks very weak and way too small, catches you.
And guess what...I did it! It was kind of like jumping into water that is too cold. You know how it feels like you can't breathe for a minute? That was it exactly. I actually did my little hop off the platform when I heard the first "hup," much to my surprise, and then my exhale sucked back into my body instead of going out. It wasn't until after the first swing back that I remembered I still had to breathe out and it wasn't until the other end of that swing that I remembered I was supposed to point my toes and have some kind of form instead of letting my legs flail around as I soared through the air. And yes, the caller had to say the second "hup" twice because I couldn't get my hands to relinquish their tight, desperate-to-stay-alive grip on the bar the first time she said it.
But I did it and it was so fun!!! I felt all electric and completely incredible. Throughout the post the pictures are all jumbled so I'd have some of all of us, just remember, Adam is in the light blue shirt (and looks like a man), I'm in the teal t-shirt and my sis in the black tank.
I didn't know if I could do it. It felt like so much to do and I could barely breathe the first time and couldn't even let go, how was I supposed to do it all? But I forced myself to listen intensely to what the caller was saying. That gave me the focus I needed to just go and do it. And I did. I completely surprised myself! It was so incredible. I loved the feeling of flying through the air! Such freedom! We did that trick twice. The second time I even ended up on my feet after my initial drop to the net.
Mostly the problem was the timing. It had to be perfectly on to get the catch right. For example, Adam's catch was just a little late so their hands weren't in the right place for the grab. By the time the catcher called "no catch," Adam had already let go of his knees, so down to the net he went. You are on belay the whole time, so he didn't get hurt at all in his slow fall, but he was pretty disappointed because we only got the one try. But my sis and I were two of the three that did catch, we got our catches right on.
It was amazing. Swinging through the air on the end of that pendulum was the most exhilarating feeling. I'd do it again, and again, and again! Not that my fear of heights is totally alleviated by this one event, but I felt so confident by the end, and by doing things like this I think I chip away at the fear I have little by little. So if one day, after a rough day with the boys, I am nowhere to be found, you may have to worry that I really have run off with the circus!
11 comments:
It was so amazing to watch! You all were fabulous and brave!
I'm about to pee my pants just watching this!! This is why I could never go on "Amazing Race" or anything...I'm such a wimp. Good job!!!
What fun!! I mean,seriously! What fun!
My stomach turned about 20 times while reading this post.
I am so proud of you for doing it. It does "look" fun, but I 'll stick to the ground for now.
:)
CooL! My friend does this in DC and she goes at least once a week. She is getting pretty good and is thinking about becoming an instructor. I think my fear of heights might be a bit too much.
I would love to do this sometime. It looks like so much fun.
What fun! You look like a pro! I think I might be too scared to do this, but what an experience it would be if I could get up the courage like you did! Awesome!
Such an adventure! Wasn't this place on the "Amazing Race" one season???
Amazing!! I didn't even know ordinary people could DO that! I have a new item on my list of "stuff I'm gonna do some day" that I'd never even considered. Here's my question, do you fall really fast, or can you tell your on a cord? If it was a controlled feel, I think I could do it! I love it!
Wow, how much fun. You are definitely brave!
Okay, I'm so doing this. This looks like SO much fun. I'm dying.
Post a Comment