Welcome to Conlin Chaos
Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.
Come. Enjoy! You know we do!
Come. Enjoy! You know we do!
Saturday, July 17, 2010
Some Things You Should Know About Tommy: Month Nine
OK. So we are nine months into our lives with Tommy now and I think that is absolutely crazy. Part of me feels like it's been so much longer but the other part goes, "What?" Do you realize that means it's just a little over three months until HALLOWEEN? Wasn't it JUST Halloween? And my little big baby is getting so much bigger...it's breaking my heart! But I'm loving every minute of it!
1. Tommy is days away from crawling forward. He can crawl backwards, well, it's more of a belly-slither backwards, which makes him particularly annoyed. And he can get himself from his tummy up to sitting on his bum when he's on a surface with any kind of friction (i.e. not on hardwood or linoleum). I am hoping we can make it through our trip before he really gets moving because nothing is baby-proofed out here...hmmm, not much is at home yet either...yipes!
2. Tommy is a loud child. I know this was also from last month, but he is REALLY loud now. He likes to butt into conversations with loud shrieks and shouts. He babbles frequently, and if you are talking and he's babbling, he just gets louder so he can make sure you understand that he's trying to tell you something. His newest sound is kind of a throat hiss, like a cat, or a French accent. It's pretty funny.
3. When Tommy sees anyone eating anything he is instantly desperate to have it. He balls his little hands into fists, and pulls his arms into his body really fast making a kind of loud, forceful shout-grunt which means, "Gimme that! I want some!"
4. Tommy is busy busy busy. He is grabby and curious and into everything. He wiggles this way and that to get to what he wants; it's like a psycho inch worm, moving himself around through a process of reaching, laying flat, pushing up and spinning to slowly make his way across a room. If something is within his body length, he's got to touch it, taste it, poke himself in the eye with it. Today, for example, twice he had Luke's little plastic animals in his mouth and once he had the tip of a suction Nerf dart. Awesome. Crawling is going to be a bit insane.
5. Tommy is fine with other people, unless he sees me. Then it's over. If I need to get something done, I need to be out of Tommy's line of sight and sometimes even beyond his hearing. But if he's tired and hungry all bets are off. It's mommy or wahhhhh!
6. Tommy still nurses as much as he did before he started solids even though he eats three solid food meals a day now. He still loves my homemade purees the most (they are just more flavorful, I think), and prefers table foods over jarred store-bought purees. So we usually try to feed him off our plates and that makes him happy. Even though he still has no teeth, as long as the bites are small he does pretty well. He also prefers vegetables to fruits. Go figure.
7. On the subject of nursing, Tommy is highly distracted when he nurses. I have to find a quiet, low-light room where a fan or white noise maker is running in order to feed him without him popping or pulling off every few seconds to look wildly around at the fun being had in his vicinity and interject loud exclamations of "Ah!" and "Da!" The challenge is that the quiet room also makes him sleepy, so it's hard to nurse him when he isn't ready for bedtime or a nap. So I am frequently sore after his non-sleep nursings. Fun!
8. Tommy just fills my heart. I take joy in the moments I have with him and miss him when I'm away from him. The kid has me weak in the knees with ooey gooey love.
9. Tommy is so easy going. When he cries it's because something is really bothering him or he really needs something (usually that would be mom). For example, when his cousin was smashing him with her love, he just kind of grunted and looked at us with pleading "help me" eyes. When something bumps him he makes a little sound like, "I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I was just bumped and it was a little unpleasant, so if it's not too much trouble could you make sure it doesn't happen again please?" It's just so sweet.
10. Tommy did his first sign the other day. We've been working on the sign for "more" with him and Adam got him going on it just a couple of days ago. He's not doing it all the time yet and sometimes looks at us with this perturbed look like, "You know what I want, so just give it to me." But he did it, repeatedly, for one meal. Yay!
Love you every second, my nine-month Tommy! And that goes for all the Tommys before and the Tommys to come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What a sweetie!
Sweet Tommy boy. He's really taking off!! I have a feeling you won't be needing to run outside anymore, as he'll have you running all around the house pretty soon!
It's been so much fun to spend time with Tommy. I wish it didn't have to end.
What adorable pictures! I can't believe how the babies are growing!
I love his loud squeals! He is so excited to communicate and have his needs acknowledged. I could hear him from three rooms away. But it was a happy squeal. Loved it!
Post a Comment