Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Time In, Time Away

I have been a bit of a photo deadbeat this week, but we've had some fun that I thought needed recording.

On Thursday night, our friends the Pucketts had the opportunity to go see Sting at the Red Rocks Amphitheater up past Denver (green with envy!!). So their two boys, Cory and Joel, came to our house for a fun-filled overnight! The kids had a build-your-own pizza bar, where Joel and Ben made pizzas that had to be 4 inches high! That was followed up by a build-your-own-sundae bar. I think the food was a success! The kids all watched Snow Buddies (while I escaped to our neighborhood book club), then hit the rack. Zach and Cory slept upstairs in Z and B's bedroom, while Ben, Joel and Josh sacked out in the family room. I am so excited to have the basement finished in time for sleepovers later this summer! In the morning--which started at the shockingly early time of 6am (and I am pretty sure they didn't fall asleep until 10:30pm...yipes!)--the boys feasted on pancakes and Star Wars: The Clone Wars episodes until I kicked them all outside to jump on the trampoline. When it came time for our friends to go home, no one was ready for the fun to end. Well, at least no one under the age of nine was! Another sleepover will definitely be planned soon!

It was a fun night in, but this week had not finished its ration of fun yet! Not only did I get a wonderful date night with my sweetheart this week, I had two other opportunities for some time as "Colleen" instead of "Mom."

After Thursday night with their boys, Friday night Adam and I hit the town with our friends Jason and Lisa Puckett. Darn that I forgot to snap a photo! We were all supposed to go see U2 this weekend, but due to Bono's last-minute back surgery, the show was postponed until next summer. What a long wait! We were all pretty bummed out by that, but glad Bono is resting up and healing so he can return to pleasing crowds for years to come. It would have been Adam and my 4th time seeing U2 together! {sigh} But at least now we have something to look forward to for the next year. :) Anyhow, we didn't want the rescheduling of the concert to ruin all the fun, so we decided a double date night was still in order. We went to the Back East Bar and Grill hoping to catch some replayed World Cup action while feasting on greasy, tasty bar food. Unfortunately, there was no previously recorded World Cup to be seen, but the greasy, tasty bar food did not disappoint and the conversation and company were awesome. We sure enjoy the Pucketts! We didn't want the evening to end, so both couples called our respective babysitters (we totally monopolized our favorite babysitter this week, we love her and so do the boys!), cleared a bit of extra time for them to be with the boys, and went to see Robin Hood at the theater. We got there in the nick of time and were surprised at how uniquely written and well done the film was, even if the battle scenes were a little gory. Great movie! Fab night.

Ben had spent the evening at his friend Dragan's house. He had originally been invited for a sleepover, but since he had just had one the night before, we had just said he could have a long, late playdate instead and planned to pick him up on our way home from our dinner with Lisa and Jason. When Adam and I pulled into the driveway, we realized we had forgotten to call Dragan's mom when we had decided on our last-minute movie outing! We were an hour later than we said we'd be to pick Ben up! I dashed over to get him with apologies galore. Fortunately, Dragan's mom was fine with it, and laughed it off since they had other kids over for sleepovers with Dragan's siblings and no one was needing to go to bed yet. I was pretty embarrassed, but glad it hadn't been a problem. All Ben said was that the playdate was too short. Too short?! Funny kid!

Saturday I got together with some of my wonderful girlfriends here in The Springs. A few weeks ago I realized that by the time we returned from our trip to Washington at the end of July, some of the amazing, inspiring women in my life here in Colorado who have become such dear friends to me over the past two years would be gone. Sadly, four of my friends are heading on to new adventures in new cities this summer. Plus, half of my girlfriends have June birthdays and birthdays need recognizing. So what to do, what to do? CELEBRATE! Celebrate friendship, celebrate lives, celebrate the time we've had together, celebrate memories made and celebrate new beginnings. We planned a last-minute lunch and spent a couple of hours talking, laughing and enjoying some time together as pals before goodbyes needed to be said. We definitely missed those who couldn't make it, but were happy with how many did, since the plan was made just this week to go. How grateful I am for each of these women and the way they have touched my life and helped me to become a better person in their unique and special ways. I will miss those who are going so much! And am so glad for those who are staying. I have been richly blessed with the friendships of these ladies.
Left to right: Shaina, Becky, Heidi--just peeking out, Me, Ashley, Jen, Adri, Tracy and Margaret...amazing women all!Another view of the table and all the lovely ladies, we're just missing Heidi, who is taking the photo.

2 comments:

Candace said...

You do have a wonderful life there, she says wistfully.

Shaina said...

What a funfilled few days for you! Thanks for organizing the lunch. It was super fun!