Tale #1: This is a picture of our rough in. The pipe on the left now houses a toilet and pumps waste from our home. The hole on the right is the water source for the shower and sink and should have had pipes and plumbing connected up to it in the first few days of the project. Why did it not? Because our plumber was in jail the day he was supposed to come plumb the house. YES. Jail!!!! Sweet, right? We were reassured by our contractor, Sonney, who is the brother of said plumber, that the reason this man found himself in jail is because of a dispute with his ex-wife, not burglary, assault or worse. At the time, Sonney told us if his brother didn't show by a certain day we'd call in a different plumber. I was desperately hoping that the plumber wouldn't show up! But he did, and I just made myself (and the boys with me) scarce for the day until Adam got home. And he was only a little scary. :)
I first noticed it one day while Josh was at preschool and Tommy and Luke were napping. I was watching a TV show up in my bedroom. Ruby was frantically pacing the floor beside the bed, then she'd dart down and try to squish her way under the bed. Then she would jump up and put her front feet on the bed, something she knows is a big no-no, and has never done before. I thought there was a mouse or something she was trying to alert me to so I kept checking under the bed and all around the room, but there was nothing! Finally I figured it out, it was the noise! Awwww. She also tried to hide under the desk on numerous occasions and kept unplugging all the computer cords. Poor chicken dog. She was so happy when work would end for the day and she could just relax. I am sure having it all done has given her a peace of heart that only a true fraidy cat (or dog) can know.
While I was taking my own sweet time making up my mind, Adam had been industrious and dug a HUGE hole out around the window. One day we had one of our typical summer rain storms. The rain suddenly dumps down in buckets, lightning flashes, thunder rolls, hail balls come flying and then bam! It's over. It wasn't until the next day that we noticed one of the "jobs" of the window well. It's not just something to allow light into your below ground spaces, it's not just there to make emergency escape from said below ground spaces possible. It's also for drainage. Did you know that? We didn't! Oops.
Apparently, without the dirt and wooden wall there to hold back the flood, the mud and water from the storm had rolled like a tidal wave into the hole, crashed up against the window and began to fill. We figure it got about 6 inches up the window when, the window, which could only take so much pressure, began to leak. Thankfully the window didn't break, but we had quite the mess to clean up in the morning! There was water all over the bedroom floor under the window and some had leaked out under the wall into the rec room, stopping only when it encountered the edge of the toy box.
The blessing was that Sonney had not yet put on the window sill wood. We got it all dried out and vacuumed up the dirt that had filtered in and you couldn't tell it had ever happened once the paint was on and the stains from the mud down the wall were gone. But it was quite the shock to see that morning we discovered it. Needless to say, that's when I decided on the metal window well and we had it ordered and in place within three days!
So yes, our 3 weeks stretched into 7, and our budget stretched along with it! We had a few bumps in the road, but we are so glad it's finished and are completely pleased with the results!
2 comments:
Oh my poor Ruby doo. I am glad it is all over and she can have peace now.
So few, compared to others I've heard. But Ruby doesn't care about other stories. Hers was a horror story of monumental proportions!
Post a Comment