Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Went In For Sealants

And I came out looking like this:Sorry. That was scary! Should I have warned you?

Apparently one of the teeth I was supposed to have sealed had a small cavity. The appointment was at 10:30am. Of the numbness that went from my jaw into my eyeball (now that's an odd feeling!), the dentist said, "It should wear off in about three hours." This photo was taken at 8pm at night. Numb. All. Day. A day that included many things to do, places to go. Shop girls all across The Springs heard the refrain, "I had some dental work done today." Not that they cared. But my vanity won over my knowledge that they could care less and I had to explain why I looked like the villain Two-Face from the Batman comic series.

I couldn't eat. My lip kept getting in the way and I'd accidentally bite it, and if the food made its way to the right side of my mouth it was like it had fallen into a black hole. I couldn't tell where it had gone in order to swallow it! Neither could I drink because it would all just dribble out the useless lips on the right. So I tried a straw, but I couldn't get my lips to make an "o" in order to suck through the straw. I had to hold them with my fingers tightly around the straw so I could sip, and then it still just dribbled out the right side. It was pathetic. Oh, and where does the numbness wear off first? The spot it hurts! So not only do I still have slack-face, but the one place I don't want to feel is the only place that has feelings. Sweet.

I had tried to avoid mirrors all day, but after I put Tommy to bed I had to look. And then I had to laugh; the big, deep, belly kind of laughs. But no matter how hard I was laughing, my face still looked just like it does above. Which made me laugh even harder. And that just hurt. But it wasn't even the tooth that hurt. It was the place I got the shot of novocaine! Hahahahaha!

I haven't had a cavity since I was twelve. I guess now I can be more empathetic to my kiddos and husband when they get them. And it's good to laugh at yourself from time to time; I try never to take myself too seriously. But I've decided that I'm definitely a total and complete dental wuss.

7 comments:

Alissa Maxwell said...

Thanks for my morning laugh. With tears in my eyes. =) Should I send this photo to my dad? (I only laughed because your FB post says the feeling is back - few.)

runningfan said...

I guess I wasn't the only one with a crazy day! Great photo...beautiful teeth!

Platteborze Possy said...

I honestly don't think you could ever look scary!! You always look cute, even in this picture! What a fun day:):):) I think I would have been telling everyone that I had dental work done as well:)

Team Sax said...

This is hilarious and made me laugh really hard. Thank you :)

maynardmoments said...

I can totally see you looking in the mirror and laughing. It makes me laugh to think about it. Way to make a not so funny thing really funny.

The Mitchells said...

I wish I hadn't had a cavity since I was twelve! I was so relieved when the our dentist told me no more cavities this last time! I breathed a sigh of relief.

Candace said...

I'm sorry...almost 10 hours of numbness! That's scary to me, speaking as your mom!