Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Monday, May 10, 2010

{Mother}'s Day

Usually for Mother's Day I am given the gift of a day-off from all the less-desirables of motherhood, like poopy diapers and dirty dishes. But with Adam down for the count after overdoing it coaching three games on Saturday (after his "procedure" on Monday), my Mother's Day celebration was put aside, by wifely mandate. In other words, I banished my poor, aching husband to the bedroom for the day to heal and rest, so hopefully he can spoil me rotten on a later date. At first I was a little disappointed in how the day was sure to go when I realized on Saturday night that Adam needed a day-off much more than I did, but I took a deep breath, said a little prayer, and quickly adjusted my attitude from the selfish to the get-to-it.So I spent Mother's Day:

Getting my children dressed and ready for 9am church.
Receiving handmade cards, flowers, puzzles and pictures from my five treasured boys while eating my breakfast of cold cereal in the kitchen.
Arriving too late to church to get a soft seat.
Having Tommy and Luke (who had a runny nose so I didn't send him to nursery) during three hours of church swapping turns on my lap, and sometimes sharing it.
Wiping runny noses again and again and again....
Listening and learning from lessons that touched my heart.
Spending time with many other mothers who I love, respect and admire.
Arriving home and promptly putting first Tommy down for a nap, and then Luke.
Spending an hour making and cooking a double batch of crepes with strawberries and homemade whipped cream that I wanted for Mother's Day.
Over-mixing the whipping cream while distracted by the two pans of cooking crepes, ending up with sugary, vanilla-flavored butter.
Dancing in the kitchen with Tommy while cleaning up the mess from lunch with a happily full belly.
Watching Ben joyously make a habitat in a milk jug for a snake that our neighbor found on their front patio.
Telling Ben he cannot keep the snake in the house.
Telling Ben "that's why it couldn't be kept in the house" when the snake escaped the jug through one of the air vent holes.
Taking Luke's temperature when he woke up from his nap more rosy and warm than usual.
Comforting my feverish boy and administering Children's Motrin.
Jumping on the trampoline in my swimsuit with my boys in the warm sunshine with the sprinkler spraying us from below.
Making more sweet potato puree, because Tommy LOVES it, and making my first batch of carrot puree.
Playing catch with Zach and his new Velcro ball catcher game.
Blowing bubbles for Josh and Luke with Josh's new bubble machine.
Calling my mom and my mom-in-law to tell them I love them and am so glad to have them as my mothers.
Making myself and my boys my chosen Mother's Day dinner of lemon-pepper pork chops with a veggie relish recipe I made up all on my own.
Sending Zach to bed early because he wasn't feeling well.
Administering more Motrin.
Letting my dinner get cold so I could help him with his 10 minute braces-brushing routine then tucking him in and singing him a song to help him sleep only to have him come down 15 minutes later feeling better and hungry for dinner.
Getting all the boys ready for bed and tucking them in tight.
Hearing, "I love you, Mommy!" "I love you, Mama!" and "I love you, Mama Mia!" as I walk down the stairs.
Doing dishes and sweeping the rice-covered floor.
Hoping for a bath, but instead...
Cuddling a coughing little Tommy who is having trouble sleeping with his stuffy nose and post-nasal drip until 11:30.
Collapsing into bed exhausted, but satisfied with a day well spent.

...In other words, I spent Mother's Day being a mother. A calling I cherish, with every bit of my heart.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds nice even though you were on your own. Even though I had a healthy Dave I feel like I did many of these same things. Ok maybe not the trampoline in a swimsuit part. :)

Brown Family said...

It definately sounds like a busy day for you but with some fun things in there as well. Sorry that Luke and Tommy are sick, Carson was sick last week starting on Wednesday, I blogged about it and having carson sick was not fun at all. We didn't even go to church on Sunday. I didn't want to go. Well I hopet you get your mother's day soon.

Dan and Katie said...

love that post!

runningfan said...

What a day! Glad you had a happy attitude.

Jones said...

how funny! in the way that I had a 'similar' day. Usually I get to relax but not this year! good thing we enjoy our 'jobs' lol...

Cailean said...

Thank you thank you thank you for posting about your day. I had a very non-relaxing Mother's Day weekend and especially on Mother's Day. I barely had any time to feel like it was honoring me at all and I was feeling sorry for myself about it on Saturday night, anticipating what the day would be like. But you said it perfectly - I spent the day being ME and doing what I had to do and that's what matters. Thanks!

ashley said...

Great attitude! I enjoy all the doting from the kids and husband on Mother's day, but really, what I love most is when I can dote on my own mother. As a mom I appreciate my mother more every day. Last year she was here visiting and I loved being able to make her Sunday brunch and celebrate her, rather than me. I'm with you, experiencing all the little joys every day being a mother are a gift all by themselves. Adam seems like he takes great care of you so I'm sure he'll make it up to you! Happy Mother's Day to an incredible mom and person!

Candace said...

The most important job in the world!