Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Zach Is Nine!

Our first baby turned nine yesterday! Zach is the best big brother we could ask for. He strives to do his best, works hard when it counts, has endless optimism, helps when needed, and cares deeply about his family. He recently told us his life mottoes are: "Never stop." and "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." Zach is getting so mature and is at that point where he loves to be included in the grown-up stuff, but still loves being a kid. He's really into the Percy Jackson books right now, so much so he has Adam and I reading them too! They are written for 5th/6th graders, so the subject matter can be a little deep, but his understanding just shows me how much he's growing up! Because of the books, he has become very interested in Greek mythology. He's invented a card game called "Greekamon." He also loves music: piano, singing, and playing the recorder (as all the third graders in his school are doing this year). Science is his favorite subject right now. Add to that his love of soccer, biking, snow- and skateboarding and you've got our nine-year old!

In the spirit of our "family only" parties this year, Zach chose to have dinner at Red Robin and then go to the nickle arcade. We'd been planning on it for a couple months. One small kink in the plans: the nickle arcade closed down. Oops! So at the last minute he decided we would go to Skate City instead. Our original plans had our outing occurring on Saturday, but Friday night we realized Saturday was already full with tree, party (neighbor friend's b-day), party (soccer) and party (church). So we put our shoes on, pulled the half-baked dinner out of the oven, stuck it in the fridge and dashed out the door.

First stop: Red Robin. Zach confessed he wanted to go there because he loved the birthday song they sing to patrons on their birthdays. So of course, he was sung to with gusto, a grin from ear-to-ear stretched across his nine-year-old face.Tommy, decked out in his baby balaclava, did this the entire meal:

After dinner, sundaes and milk shakes, we headed off to Skate City. Think back to middle school. It's Friday night and you and your friends are eager to get out and display your independence. What better place to go than the roller rink?! I spent a few seventh grade nights there myself. Giggling with my girlfriends; hoping one of the boys will ask me to skate during one of the romantic songs; watching those weird, mustached twenty-somethings who can skate like they were born on wheels; the smell of shoe odor masked with sanitizers; really tacky carpet...{sigh}...boy am I glad those days are over! And it is still the same! I felt like our family was invading Middle School Land! But the boys didn't mind a bit. They had a fabulous time!

Of the 200 or so people there, my three boys were the only ones in helmets. And they were also three of the probably 15 kids under the age of 12. Dorky? Maybe. But them's the rules! The cool thing is, they didn't care! They were in a sea of older "cool" middle school kids and never even asked to take the helmets off. I love those boys and that they are comfortable in their own...um...skates.

Luke, Tommy and I sat in the snack bar area to watch the others skate the loop.

Zach is not only very steady on his skates, he's got some pretty smooth moves too!

Ben has gotten really good too since his birthday and the gift of his new blades. And Josh gave it a hearty go! He used the walls and Dad's hand for support and did a great job.
Josh and dad, doin' their thing.
It was loud there. REALLY loud. REALLY LOUD hip hop. Fortunately, it was mostly incomprehensible and cleaned up, just in case you could pick out a word here and there. I felt like such an old fuddy duddy thinking the music was loud and crass, but it was! Luke had seemed excited about doing a few loops, until he got to the edge of the rink and was scared by how loud the music was. I was a little nervous about the baby's ears, so I had them muffled by his blanket. It did have a good beat though, so Luke and I sat in our seats bopping around. In the picture, Luke's trying to squeeze his ears shut!
Zach's real birthday was Sunday morning. He awoke to the tune of "Happy Birthday" sung by us all. Here is my sweet nine-year-old, fresh from his "late" sleep-in (9am).
Zach got his bike from us for his birthday earlier this summer, because he really needed one. We had to remind him we had given him his present early a number of times leading up to his big day. But his brothers got him some biking gloves that he'd been wanting and some Bakugan. He also got the Diary of a Wimpy Kid four book set and four song writing lessons from Nana and Papa, which he is so excited for! The icing on the cake, though, was the skateboard he got from Auntie Lili. When he opened it he said, "My wish came true!"
Zach's special birthday menu: cinnamon rolls and scrambled eggs for brunch, cheese and chicken casserole on mashed potatoes for dinner, and cheesecake for dessert. I tried out a no-bake mint chocolate cheesecake and it was so good! But VERY rich. None of us could finish the big pieces we cut for ourselves.
NINE!
We love you and are so proud of the dear nine-year-old you've become. You are such a treasure to us, Zachary Adam!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Zach! I think we have the same carpet out here at skate deck.

Anonymous said...

I love those Percy Jackson books!! Then again, I love young adult fiction. While reading I kept thinking, how much my kids will like these books someday. You already have someday now. :)

Candace said...

First, Happy Birthday Zach, once more. Can't stop wishing you a wonderful year. Second, how great of you to stick the dinner in the refrigerator and head out. If I were a kid, I would always remember that.

Alea said...

I love you Zach soooo much!!!! Happy happy HAPPY birthday!!!!

COKE FAMILY said...

Zach was so excited about his chocolate mint cheesecake in class on Sunday. We all wish we were at your house for dessert! He is a great kid. Watch out for the skateboard. I know the neighborhood kids will be excited to have another skateboarder!

Trinette McCrary said...

Happy birthday Zach!