Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

-Ing!

And now...the final post of our trip! Everything else, aside from the day of thankfulness itself!

Although we were meeting up with my family for Thanksgiving and knew it was going to be a busy week, Adam's older sister Angie and her family live only an hour from where we were staying, so we wanted to make sure to see them while we were so close. Angie suggested we meet up for a picnic dinner outside the Mesa, Arizona temple Tuesday night, the night we pulled into town. I was a little worried that our scrubby day-long travel clothes would be inappropriate for the temple grounds, but the Mesa temple has a huge visitors' center, a brilliant and beautiful Christmas light display for one and all, and large temple grounds that attract visitors far and wide. What I mean is that thankfully we weren't the only ones there in jeans and sweats, looking frazzled and tired, with food crumbs stuck on our shirts.

As we were getting close, in an effort to distract my travel-worn kiddos, I made a game of "Whoever sees the Angel Moroni first gets a high five." Well, guess what the Mesa temple doesn't have? Yeah, that game bombed. But we all got a laugh anyway. We are so glad we had a chance to go! The temple was really beautiful all lit up for the holidays, and seeing Angie and her kids, Kylie and Steven, was a treat for us all.
Tommy with Auntie Angie
Tommy and Kylie
The boys with Steven: the place they are sitting is a little spill-over waterfall; they are all sitting on their hands for the picture so they don't get their bums wet!
I just had to put this picture in because Josh's expression and pose totally cracked me up when I saw it! Man, that kid brings joy to my soul!
Here we all are in the visitors' center with Angie, Kylie and Steven in front of the Christus statue. The next day, Luke told everyone we saw Jesus at the Temple.
Wednesday we spent the day grocery shopping, getting ready for the big feast, swimming at Auntie Britt's pool (the pool was actually FREEZING, so the boys spent most of the time in the hot tub, with some polar bear jumps into the pool just to show off how gutsy they were). Isn't that pool rad? The hot tub spills over into the pool! We also took some awesome family photos in the nearby pecan groves. My cousins Britt and Jessica and her husband Jeremy (who took most of the photos) did a wonderful job, but I can't share them yet, as we are using them for Christmas cards, and I don't want to spoil the surprise! I will post all my favorites after cards go out, if I get to them this year that is! It just seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day right now.
Auntie Lili really missed reading to the boys at night in the three weeks she was away from us between her visit to help when Tommy was born and our trip to Arizona, so she got in as many stories as she could! Fortunately, she will be here again before Christmas to get more time with her nephews that she loves so much. What will we do after that?! I don't want to think about it.
Tommy's frequent spitting-up necessitates regular bathing so he doesn't become a stinky baby, and he's finally starting to like his baths, even if it is in the sink! Of course, when I asked Nana for a hand in the bathing she was there in a snap.
Friday, after some shopping with my Mom, sis and Britt, and a lunch out without the little boys, but including the big ones (Dad and Adam) much of the family gathered together again at the house that my California family was renting for the week for an awesome chili dinner. We just hung out again, chatted and enjoyed each others' company. Like I said before, family is family. We may not see each other a lot, or really know each other much at all, but the relationships are instant. It just goes to show, there is always room in one's heart for more love.
This BBQ place, Joe's Real BBQ, that Britt took us to in Old Gilbert was incredible! So, so tasty!
My sister, me and our cuz JJ. JJ has always been the cousin we admired and wanted to be exactly like when we were growing up. It has been so great having our relationship change from adoring fans to true friends (although we are still adoring fans)! Josh and JJ's daughter, Miller, had a great time playing together. Miller is only eight months older than Luke, so a couple years younger than Josh, but I think that eight months of age made her a willing playmate rather than a stubborn, controlling toddler like Josh's little brother usually is!
Luke made some pretty big fans himself over the week (with Jessica)... ...because what's not to love about a sweet, adorable, chatty, pocket-size toddler who has a lot of love to share and a laugh that makes you laugh right along with him (with Uncle Jaron)?!
Here's many of the matriarchs and patriarchs of the family: Uncle Steve, Sharon (Jaron's wife), Jaron (Brent's brother), Auntie Dorothy, and my Dad, known amongst the party as "Mac." My Mom and Dad used to be called Candy and Mac (my maiden name is McKenzie) before we moved up to Washington in 1980. Although they both love their "grown-up" names of Candace and Stan, my sister and I think "Candy and Mac" fit them perfectly...fun-loving, bubbly, happy, sweet.
My cousin JJ, her hubby, Tim and sweet Miller. Not having any girls, I got Miller a cute little tutu for Christmas because I certainly can't interest anyone in my family in something like that. Unfortunately, she is a complete tomboy! I love it. Just like I bet any girl of mine would be. She loved having all her boy cousins around to play with. Hopefully her love for dress-up will make the tutu useful, although I think she'd have been happier with some Legos :).
Jessica (Brent's niece), Jared (Brent and Dorothy's son) and Brent
Brent and Jen (Jared's wife)
Jen with Britt (Brent and Dorothy's daughter)
We played a rousing game of Phase 10 with two of Britt's sweet girls, Sarah and Katie.
Here is my dad talking to Britt's husband, Brock. Brock is a pilot for Southwest, so unfortunately he didn't get to spend Thanksgiving with us because he had a flight. But it was great meeting him, direct from the airport, Friday night. Both Britt and Brock and Jared and Jen are wonderful couples!
Once again, it was a fabulous trip and wonderful times spent with amazing family! I am so blessed, and so thankful for the blessing of family, large and small!

6 comments:

Trinette McCrary said...

Looks like you had a fabulous trip!

Candace said...

Thanks for reminders of a great trip! Can't wait til our next one -- 15 DAYS!!!!

Jen said...

So fun. Looks like you had a great time.

Alissa Maxwell said...

Loving that picture of Josh... I laughed out loud! And sending calm tummy thoughts your way. So far, very little spewing from our Josh (though he's already on Zantac), but I seem to remember it gets worse around 8 weeks. You're cutting out dairy, but I'm cutting out spicy... and now maybe tomatoes. Those things are giving me tummy trouble, so maybe that's an indicator for the kiddo???

kendra said...

your thanksgiving looks WONDERFUL (and warm!). That museum is awesome! It reminds me of one in Kansas City. All the cool ones are far away!!

Anyway, Tommy is already getting so big and changing. And your other boys - I just miss them! They are so so cute! We still have Josh withdrawls quite often.

Glad you had a great time with great family.

Alea said...

So glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! I just love your posts. Although I'm not going to lie...keeping track of that family tree (with all the "so and so's niece, so and so's wife, etc.) was really confusing. But it's all family, so I tried not to frazzle my brain too much over it. Super jealous they all got to have the holidays with you and we didn't. But again, glad you had such a good time. Miss you!