Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Disaster Averted

When Zach was around a year old, I stopped to get gas and gave him my keys to play with while I pumped. Just to clarify: this is not a good idea if your keys have a keypad. Zach locked himself in the car. Surprisingly, my five minutes of pantomiming button pushing did not get the point across to my very young son :). When that didn't work, I had a few moments of panic until I remembered my membership in the AAA Motor Club and dashed to the mini-mart to use the station's telephone. Let me tell you, when you say there is a baby in the car they come quickly! That was a good learning experience: keypad + closed car doors + baby = bad idea. Today's "learning experience" was much more distressing.

I tucked a bright-eyed Tommy into his car seat, and he gave me a great big grin before I popped his binky in. We had errands to run! With Josh and Ben in bed all day Monday after throwing up all Sunday night, our packages to-be-mailed and the nasty post office lines had had to wait until today. I went to load Luke, our mailings, and some bags for Goodwill into the van. Josh followed me out into the garage and climbed into his seat. I headed back to the house for Tommy and the diaper bag, and the nob wouldn't turn.

"Why not?" I wondered. Hmmm, what could that mean? And then the nasty truth hit me. The door was locked!!! And Tommy was inside the house! Honestly, I can't even count the number of times I've had to remind the boys to close the door to the garage all the way until it latches. They NEVER do. Except for today.

OK, don't panic, I told myself. This has happened before when Adam was out of town. The first time, it was a warm day and the back door was still unlocked, the second time, Luke was in the house and had recently figured out how to use our door knobs. Well, those solutions didn't apply this time. But, phew! I also remembered that my friend Lisa still had the key from when she watched Ruby for us over the Thanksgiving holiday. I dialed...no answer. Well, maybe she's at home and not close to her cell. I dialed her home...no answer. I dialed again...no answer. I dialed and dialed. Home, cell, home, cell. Still no answer.

I ran out into the backyard to check the back door even though I clearly remembered locking it. I ran to the front door. I looked at every window, and even after recognizing that they were indeed locked, I tried them.

Who was I kidding? When Adam is out of town, I lock the house down like Fort Knox. There wasn't a window or door that could possibly be unlatched. I was praying out loud. The panic I was trying to suppress would no longer stay down. Rational thought was fleeing. I tried calling Adam...no answer. Again. Again. Lisa again. Again. Tears falling. Pacing the garage. Stressfully rubbing my head, trying to make it work. Checking the obviously VERY locked doors and windows again...you never know, maybe I missed something.

I kept listening to the inside of the house, ear and palm pressed against the door leading from the garage inside. Like I could send him my "I'm right here" thoughts. At least he wasn't crying. I shook the door, banged it. It didn't magically open. Why didn't banging the door and rattling the knob help? Rational thought was long gone.

I called Adam and Lisa some more. STILL no answering. Hysterical crying. Poor Josh and Luke were watching me totally lose it in the garage. I think I was muttering under my breath, talking myself down, going over my options. I probably looked nuts!!

I called my Dad. You know you have a great dad when he's the one you want to call in an emergency if your husband isn't answering. He told me I'd have to break a window because a locksmith would take too long and probably be just as, if not more, expensive than replacing a window. Plus, it wasn't like I had a phone book in the garage with me to pick one out. Breaking a window was what I was thinking I'd have to do anyway, part of the reason I was trying to call Adam was to get his advice on which one I should go for. But my Dad confirmed it, and told me which one and how to do it as safely as possible.

I pulled the hammer off of Adam's tool rack and headed for the laundry room window. Then I thought, "I'll try Lisa one more time." I think it rang six times and then I heard her voice, not her voice mail, but her actual voice! "AREYOUANYWHERENEARMYKEY?THEBABY'SLOCKEDINTHEHOUSE!" I am sure I was incomprehensible, but out of my panicked, sobbing voice Lisa heard "key." I heard her say, "YES! I'm coming! Take some deep breaths. Are you OK?" I don't know if I answered. I think I might have hung up.

She was there like lightning. My hero! Lisa had the key in hand and hugs for the distressed and hysterical mom, and her hammer too, just in case. As we ran for the front door she asked how long it had been. It felt like it had been an eternity, and I told her a half-an-hour, but once sanity returned, my more calm mind realized it had probably only been about 15 minutes.

We got in the house and found this:
Apparently it wasn't much of a disaster for my little angel. I think he was just happy for the peace and quiet to catch a few Z's!

I was a wreck for the rest of the day: physically and mentally exhausted, nerves frayed, on the verge of tears. I had had a MAJOR adrenaline O.D. Even though everything had been fine. Tommy was fine. And throughout the saga, deep down I must have known he was. I mean, he was buckled in his seat belt, safely in our house, and all alone. Even Ruby was put in "her room" (our half-bath). The worst that could have happened: mad, crying baby. But even that didn't happen. Why was I so freaked out? I guess minor hysteria (who am I kidding, it was major hysteria) will do that to you.

Lesson learned. Locked door + baby + no hide-a-key = insane mommy. We now have a key hidden away in the garage. I am sure I will be locking Tommy in the house again tomorrow, but now there is a solution that does not involve me needing hospitalization.

13 comments:

runningfan said...

Oh, Colleen! I'm so sorry. Why is it that such adventures have to happen when Adam is out of town??? Seriously. WHY?

Jen said...

glad it turned out ok. I make sure at least two neighbor's have keys. A couple months ago I locked the house and walked Hannah to the bus stop while Max slept. Forgot to bring my keys but luckily it was a morning when Beth was still home. There was that moment of panic as I turned around to make sure her car was there.

Julz said...

We have something similar to this: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=47636-382-5401DLWSFLR/8&lpage=none

Not only can we get in if we forget a key but I don't have to give my teens a key that they will loose. It's mounted between the screen door and our front door. I love it and I no longer have to worry about how to get in if the garage is locked or if the kids are actually locking the door. I'm always forgetting or losing my keys.

I'm so glad tommy got a nice quite nap and wasn't freaking out. I wish you less stress in the future.

Trinette McCrary said...

Phew, that made me stressed just reading it. I felt my blood pressure go up. Yikes, I'm happy it all turned out okay. I remember locking Olivia in the car when she was a baby-freaky!

Amy said...

What is it about a baby that escalates every emotion to near-catastrophic proportions? I am so sorry and I'm even sorrier that I laughed so hard at your story. Thanks!
Amy

Angie said...

i was stressed just reading this! glad everything turned out okay. phew.

maynardmoments said...

What a nightmare! I am so glad your friend had a key and that you got ahold of her before smashing the window. My heart is going nuts after reading that. Few!

Alissa Maxwell said...

Few! I'm just picturing you with that hammer in hand... glad you didn't need it!

Rebecca Luke said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I'm always afraid of that happening to me! Especially since I don't know anyone here, and Chris is gone ALL day... yikes! So glad that everything was okay. Lucky you and what a sweet baby boy.

Adri said...

Oh I hate those door knobs that open from the inside, but are locked from the outside! I've locked myself out a hundred times since we moved into this house (with said door knob!). We, too, have a hidden key in the garage. And, I use it a lot! Just don't forget to put it back in the garage. Not that I've done that or anything.... :)

Candace said...

When Dad told me, I had major heart palpitations, until I heard your voice and knew that all was ok. Then I laughed, knowing that this will be one more great story in the future.

Angie said...

I completely understand the panic. Emilee got locked in the neighbors garage once while they were gone. I don't know what I'd have done if another neighbor hadn't had a cell phone number so we could get the code to save Emilee.

Cailean said...

Oh goodness, this is a good lesson for us all! I think we've all accidentally locked our children somewhere. Maybe I should post about my time. So glad he was okay and I love the mittens photo at the top of your blog!