Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Friday, June 5, 2009

Reporting on the Summer of Science: Week One

Warning: Only read this post and all other S.O.S. weekly reports if you are a total science nerd like me. But if you are, this is rad.

Honestly, the Summer of Science projects have been so much fun thus far! The three older boys and I are all really enjoying ourselves (while Luke is napping in the afternoons). I not only enjoy the experiments with the kids and the fun we are having learning together, it is getting them inside and sheltered from a few of the neighbor kids whose behavior is sometimes less than desirable, for example, one who is only six-years-old dropped the F-bomb while in a rage last week. Nice, right? For some reason that word sounds even more horrible than usual when it comes from the mouth of a six-year-old. But I digress....
We really loved the first day, which involved marshmallows, and how can you go wrong with science and marshmallows all in one fun activity?! There were a few moments, as we listened to gently playing classical music, perused the Periodic Table of the Elements, discussed atoms and molecules and played with squishy, sticky mallows that I felt like I was in some really dorky Disney Channel sit-com or possibly a PBS between shows mini-skit. But the other days have been fun too, if less cheesy-feeling than the first.
We decided to do three lessons and the science projects or experiments that go with them per week. I made the boys each a science journal to record our findings, or anything they may have learned from our activity that day. Zach records details and hypotheses, results and diagrams. Ben usually gets in a couple of sentences and maybe a picture. And Josh draws a picture that I label for him. It is so cool. Am I a total dweeb of a mom? Yes! And I love it!

Day One:

We investigated the Periodic Table of the Elements, talked about atoms and molecules, and then got to business. First we discovered that molecules are in constant motion, even though we can't see them moving. We used a still glass of water and put in a drop of food coloring and then just left it, no stirring, no mixing...first the food coloring just kind of sat in the water like a drop, then it began to look swirly and started to change the color of the water. After about 10 minutes the water had entirely changed to the color we added!!
Next we discovered that molecules that are hot move more quickly than molecules that are cold. We used a glass of water from the fridge and one we heated in the microwave and performed the same experiment as above, no mixing allowed! It only took a couple of minutes for the hot water to become one uniform color, but it took nearly 15 for the fridge-cold water to change completely. Finally we made some marshmallow models of molecules. First we made a water molecule: one big fat oxygen (O) bonded to two tiny hydrogen (H).
Then we made an ice crystal by connecting a bunch of water molecules, so that they shared their hydrogen. They were a little floppy, but everyone got the point.
We also made small salt crystals. The brown mallows (coconut covered...yummy!) were Sodium (Na) and the white represented the Chlorine (Cl).
Then the boys said we should put it all together to make a big chunk of salt...so we did. It was much sturdier than the water had been. Although I wouldn't trust a tower of marshmallows too much.
And then we made indoor s'mores, because what else do you do with a bunch of smooshed and fondled marshmallows?
At the end of day one the boys were (seriously, I'm not making this up) chanting, "We love the Summer of Science! Long live the S.O.S!" I could blame it on three boys and a lot of sugar, but I am going to stroke my ego instead and say it was really just the science they loved :).

Either way, was it a success? Absolutely!
Day Two:

First, we revisited the concepts from our previous day and discovered that something that is invisible actually exists! Just like in our marshmallow molecule models, there are spaces between molecules, even though we couldn't see any. We used a cup of water, measured very precisely by Zach, and to it we added exactly one cup of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. But when we looked at the measurement again we didn't have two cups of liquid! We had less. Gasp! One plus one did not equal two in this case! That's because the specific shape of the alcohol molecules allows them to fill in some of the space between the water molecules and therefore the mixture takes up less space. Oooooh! Aren't you so glad you decided to read this post?
Next, we looked into mixtures, solutions and chemical reactions (can you guess which got the biggest cheer from the boys?).

We made a chart of everything we'd be mixing, like sand and water, syrup and water, baking soda and water, etc. All in all we mixed nine different pairs. Then we made predictions about what would come about by the mixing of two things: a mixture, which you can stir or shake as much as you want but will eventually separate back into its original components; a solution, where the two things actually come together to make something that has characteristics of both the two original substances and remain mixed; or a chemical reaction, where the two original substances actually change their chemical structure and become something completely different from what you started with. The boys loved mixing stuff up, even if only one of the mixings gave them a really exciting outcome.
Here are a few: Josh mixing sand and sugar. Conclusion? Mixture.Zach mixing oil and water (with blue food coloring in it to make the result more obvious). Conclusion? Mixture.Ben mixing syrup and water. Conclusion? Solution...and a yummy one at that!The boys watching the chemical reaction of a solution of baking soda and water after adding two tablespoons of vinegar. Awesome! Definitely a reaction!
Day Three:
We discovered Oxygen! This one was a big hit. Probably because it included a flame. It was the classic candle under the jar with water in the saucer experiment. When the candle flame uses up all the oxygen inside the jar while creating carbon dioxide, the flame goes out and the water rises inside the jar as it is sucked in to replace the missing oxygen. Fascinating. We did this one at least five times, and then had to show it to dad once more when he got home. So in case you didn't know it was out there, all around us, the Conlin boys discovered the existence of oxygen today.
We also made an emulsion of oil and water. An emulsion is the closest you can get to getting oil and water to mix. It will still eventually separate, but it does so at a much slower rate. After adding the oil to the water and vinegar solution, you add a bit of paprika. The paprika adheres to the oil molecules, making them smaller, so that they settle inside the water more easily!! You know you love it!
Add a few more ingredients, and you get salad dressing!
Which of course we did, and had it on our salad tonight with the missionaries over for dinner. We gave them the choice of Ranch or Science Experiment salad dressings. One of the brave Elders gave it a go. It was actually pretty tasty; and Ben and Josh, who both usually prefer Ranch, told me repeatedly how much they liked it. I had to keep reminding them that they made it!
This has been so fun for me. And I am so happy the kids are loving it. This kind of stuff has always really interested me, which is why I started out as a science major. Why I chickened out and ended up in history (which I do also love) I don't know. Darn me! I haven't had so much fun teaching since my undergrad days as a physical science TA at BYU. I always thought that eventually, once our kids are grown, I would go back to teaching history, but now I am thinking I'd love a job as a science teacher. Too bad I'd have to go back to do a lot of schooling first!
What fun! If you actually stuck with me this entire post, congratulations and thanks for reading. Either we share a love of science, you are really bored or you just love our family. Expect our next report in a week!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious. I am wondering why you chickened out.... I started as a biology major but studying was never high on my priority list so by my sophomore year, my brains needed the studying and I wasn't committed enough. So I am glad my backup plan was teaching so when my kids are grown, I can teach. I love that. So what is your chicken story?

Andrea said...

I'll be honest. I didn't read everything. The caution at the beginning was enough for me. I guess the science gene skipped a generation. My favorite thing about PS100 was YOU!!

You're an awesome mom--I might actually have to read this so I can do some fun summer activities (and learn what I should have learned in school)!

Brown Family said...

You are amazing Colleen,I wish that I could be like you with my kids. You do the neatest thing with them and are so creative. They are so lucky to have you as a mom.

Trinette McCrary said...

Ah!! I'm sure your kids had so much fun and learned too. Can't get better than that. Hmmm, science is cool to me, but I have never been able to wrap my brain around it. Way to go Colleen.

Candace said...

Way too cool! I am thinking I might try some of these with my Monday boys. Great Job! Love!

Kim said...

This kind of stuff just makes me happy. Science was one of my very favorite subjects to teach. There are so many cool experiments and things to learn. I love that you are doing it with your boys!

Alissa Maxwell said...

Okay, you know I am the nerd that read the whole post thinking, "how long until I can do this with my own kiddo." Years...sigh.

Also, please tell me you have a book or awesome website you are using for reference... Although I wouldn't put it past you to be pulling this from you awesome memory and creativity.

Melanie said...

Sounds like you should homeschool my friend.

Lehis said...

You are so funny! My kids need to take yearly summer vacations to your house! I'll just send them to the CONLINS!

Cailean said...

Such creative ideas! And I bet they learned so much because you made it fun. I agree with the "homeschool" comment above. I also chickened out on a few different majors that I wish now I had done (architecture, graphic design, textiles, etc.) and now wonder why. But at least we can enjoy our passions and interests even now as moms.

Your Girl Leah said...

Sis, I love science, despite getting a chemistry set instead of a cabbage patch kid one birthday, but I more love your fam! But mostly, I was just in awe at how fun you made science! Did you find these ideas online or in a book or just think them up? !t is just awesome fun and I think you would be a fantastic teacher. I mean, you ARE a fantastic teacher!