Saturday was such a beautiful day, we had to get out of the house. It was our first sunny Saturday in a long time!
We had things to do close to home in the early part of the day, but the afternoon was open. Our plans started off as a hike down the Santa Fe Trail around Palmer Lake Preserve and beyond.
For example, we found this little cove:
With trails around it for exploring.
And exciting wildlife to point out!
And ducks.
And on the way back to the car, on the opposite side of little Palmer Lake than we started from, we found a good-lookin' playground. So we stopped again.
Yes, our grand hike up a portion of the Santa Fe Trail turned into more of a nature stroll around little Palmer Lake (I keep saying "little" so that no one is under the impression that we completely circled a vast lake, quite frankly, it's surprising it's called a "lake" at all). But we discovered things we would have completely missed along the way if we had been moving at hike pace, and no one was complaining. We all had a great time. Even if Mom's butt was still begging for more.
The freeway south was a mess because of weekend construction, so we decided to take the back route to Black Forest Regional Park for our ward picnic. It was one of those drives where you are gasping at the beauty and magnificence of the landscape. Everything is so rich and green with all the rain we've received recently, and the scenery was spectacular. There was even one point, as I was dying of beauty anyway, that we spotted a group of horses galloping through their emerald green pasture nestled in the crook of the foothills with the mountains rising up steeply behind. I had to say, "Are you kidding me? Is this for real?!" The picture below doesn't do the scenes we saw justice, taken with my point and shoot camera from the moving car, but you are welcome to come visit us and see Colorado in early summer for yourselves! You won't regret it! And as an added bonus...you get to see us too!
We arrived safely at Black Forest Park, despite nature's best efforts to make us crash by forcing us to gaze at all its loveliness. The picnic was so fun. Adam and the boys were able to run amok and play with their friends, while I was able to sit and talk with my friends. And there was food, good food. Could it be better than that? I think not!
Zach and Adam got in on the Longest Game of Kickball Ever Played. I had to be the party pooper and call them in as dusk fell and the rest of us were getting tired and chilly.
Josh and Ben may have been a bit colder than the typical picnicker come the end of the night, because for most of the evening they had been playing with the water balloons and the launcher someone brought.
But they were happy, even cold and wet.
We were hoping the ACDC shirt said, "Even though I have this huge, floppy red hat perched upon my head and tied with a cute bow under my chin, I am still a real tough guy deep within." What do you think? Is the message clear or are those cute baby blues, round cheeks and sneaky smile ruining the hard core image?
It was a happy day: a fun-ny (as in filled with fun, not ha ha, although there was a lot of that too), sunny Saturday.
6 comments:
That looks like a great place to let the kids be free to explore! We'll have to put it on our list.
Even before you mentioned Luke's church, I was going to ask if the back of it said, "Killer Driller"...
So fun! And Luke is adorable in the floppy hat.
PS - how do you remember all that "SOS" stuff. I went to school, I took chemistry and even did well on my ACT. So what the heck? I really need to get on the ball and refresh my brain, if for no other reason then my kids will think I am the best mom ever too!! you are hillarious and you really do have great fun ideas. I hope you know (and don't mind) that I copy you a lot!!
Yes, the AC/DC shirt makes you look right past the floppy hat. But then again he is so cute in the floppy hat. You have darling boys!
You do so much fun stuff!!! You're amazing.
Amazing photos! What a fun place to go. You guys definitely enjoy your lives to the fullest.
Post a Comment