Welcome to Conlin Chaos

Welcome to the family journal that captures the chaos that is the world of Colleen, Adam, Zach, Ben, Josh, Luke, Tommy, and Ruby. Here you will see small snippets of what we see every day.

Come. Enjoy! You know we do!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Happy Birthdays and First Race

Happy Birthday Mom! Who I am I am because of you. Thank you for your example, your guidance, your advice and your never-ending love. You are an amazing, strong, tender, kind, smart, brave woman. And a fabulous Nana to boot! I love you!

And Happy Birthday to two other great women in my life, Emily and Heidi! Wow! April 28th must be a lucky day to be born!

Last night was Ben's first Landsharks meet. It was so fun (and absolutely FREEZING)! All the different schools in our district were gathered, wearing their different colored Landsharks shirts. The kids were so excited and were ready to run, even bundled up like eskimos! Ben had a great time and felt so good about his race, which is what it is all about. After a fabulous finishing kick, he placed fifth overall for kindergartners in our school district with a time of 2'05.05 for the 400m. He said, "I loved it, Mom! I listened to my coach and she said to not start too fast, so we still have energy for the end." Well, he definitely had that, enough energy to give me a big grin and a sweet wave as he flew past us. Nice work buddy! We loved watching you run!

On a sad note, our neighbor, Ian, passed away yesterday morning. I scrambled to make freezer dinners for the family, cooking all day in a feeble effort to do something, anything. How do you even fathom the loss of a child, especially one who has been in your life for 12 years? How do you bring comfort for something so unbearable? I felt like I was in this strange fog all day long. I can only imagine. I can only pray that I only ever have to imagine. Although I know he is free from pain, in a place much better than this, with a God who loves him beyond measure, it doesn't mean those left behind aren't full of grief and loss for a life not lived long enough. I wish there was more I could do besides bring food and pray for their comfort and peace. But that's what I've got, I guess. Thanks to everyone who has added their prayers to ours.

9 comments:

The Nedrys said...

I am so sorry for your neighbors loss. There are no words; I can't even imagine...

Ben looks so happy running - like he was born to do it! Glad he did so well.

Cailean said...

Oh I'm so sorry, Colleen. Last year seemed to be a life-changing year for many of my friends because they lost kids, spouses, etc. And it became a life-changing year for me to see them suffer and be in pain and come out the other side with more faith in God and in themselves and their ability to survive. I pray that your friends can feel some sort of peace and hope amidst the difficulty. I can't even fathom it either :(

runningfan said...

Glad Ben had such a fun time last night! Isn't it great to see our boys running? I love it.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. Cancer is so awful. I'm so grateful to know there's more beyond this life!

emily said...

you are such a great friend. thanks for the happy birthday holler! ben's awesome!! give him a high five from us too!!

sorry to hear about your neighbor. so sad.

maynardmoments said...

So sorry about about your neighbor. That is way sad. Oh man.
Looks like the race was great! Running is awesome!

TRule said...

Sorry to hear about your neighbors son. That's so sad. I sent you an email, I hope you still check your Yahoo account. If not, leave another message on my blog. By the way Congrats on the new addition!

Erin

Trinette McCrary said...

12 years is way too short. I'm sorry for their family and the sadness it has brought to yours too. You are so kind to help them with freezer meals. I have also found that paper goods and fresh fruit helps too. It is so hard when your heart achs for those that are suffering. Hang in there.

ashley said...

Cute picture of you and your mom! My mom gets here tomorrow and I feel that giddy, christmas eve type feeling like when I was a kid. I just love it. I can finally take a deep breath when she arrives.

The story about your neighbor is heart-breaking. I can't imagine losing a child. I really, really, can't.

The Siple Family said...

What a great neighbor you are. They are so lucky to have you. It makes me a little more grateful for the time I have with my darling boys. I can't even imagine! I hope to never have to. What a cute little track star you have, I like that Ben smiled at you as you took a picture.