Originally our plan was just to hit Disneyland, and then spend a couple of days at the beach, but there is a great deal going on right now that we just couldn't pass up. Southern California residents (as my sis is) can pay the price for one park and get passes to both parks, as long as you go to them on two separate days (different from a typical park-hopper pass). She was able to buy up to eight tickets, and how could we pass that up?! With as many times as we have gone to Disneyland Resort, we've always had only one day to play, so we've always chosen Disneyland. Well, we finally got to visit California Adventure!
It was a really fun day. There are some incredibly cool rides, like Soarin' Over California (a fave of all) and the California Screamin' roller coaster (aptly named), Grizzly Rapids (another fave), The Tower of Terror (terror-fying) and Maliboomin' (like a bungee ride up, yipes!). And A Bugs Land is great for the younger Disney fans, all rides very kid friendly; but with all that said, it isn't Disneyland. It doesn't have that same feel, the magic just isn't there as much. It just feels more like your basic Six Flags type theme park, a great park, great rides, but not Disneyland. You know what I mean? So if, in the future, we only have our one day, as usual, we will still pick Disneyland. But we'd love to go back sometime when another deal presents itself! I'll say it again: It was a really fun day.
Grizzly Rapids was awesome! We all got pretty wet, but both my Mom and Zach got soaked by a big tidal wave at the bottom of this slope. This is Zach, Ben and I. We are facing down the slope, although I SWEAR we were facing backwards down it at the top, but I can't remember spinning around! Freaky. If you can, click on the picture and it might enlarge. The boys look terrified! Ha ha ha! Don't worry, they both said they loved it...later.
And here are Adam and Mom, waving after the big splash!
I had to put this picture in because those corn dogs look totally amazingly yummy. So above and beyond the nasty frozen things in the freezer that the boys love.
They wouldn't tell you it, because of course their favorites were the really SCARY rides, but I think this was the REAL favorite ride of all the boys. It's one of those old-fashioned boardwalk rides, where the swings that fly in a circle. Fun, simple, exciting but not terrifying.
The Jellyfish Jumper...a ride with a long line plus a height restriction that wasn't all that thrilling.
Colleen is definitely California Screamin' on the big roller coaster that went rocket-fast up, down, and upside down!

Luke included, who was pretty tuckered out from the day before and was not so thrilled with any of California Adventure, and would have rather snuggled down in his port-a-crib for a nice long snooze. His favorite part? The rubber ducky races down the little stream...his ducky won...although he may have dropped it before the "ranger" said "go!"
The reason we really love the Disneyland Theme Parks...chocolate-covered frozen bananas. Dude. I eat at least four every visit.
In A Bugs Land there were a couple different play fountains for getting totally drenched in (Zach in blue, Ben in burgundy getting his face blasted).
And so they did. Of course afterwards Josh (in the red croc-style shoes) was cold, so he spent the rest of the day in just his sweatshirt.
At least it was warmer than the day before had been. I think it was in the mid-70's. Perfect...unless you are soaking wet.

Riding Heimlich...notice Luke's enthusiasm.
Chug.chug.chug. Like I said, a great land for the smaller Disney fans. It was nice to take it easy for a bit! Plus, they included scents on the ride, so as you went through the watermelon they pumped out watermelon scent, or past the circus crackers, sweet cracker smell. No kidding!
The boys were crazy about P.T. Flea's bumper bugs! And Zach was big enough to drive one on his own. He thought that was pretty darn neat.
This is the joy we felt after taking down Ben and Dad.
Ben was a pretty ruthless driver, chasing us all around the arena. I guess that's why they call them bumper bugs!
Luke was very excited to see "car" aka Lightening McQueen!
Adam, Josh and Ben waiting to enter the elevator on the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror! It was pretty terrifying! This is what Josh and Ben will tell you is their favorite ride of the day, but Josh has asked to come sleep with us every night since...hmmmm. Zach opted out. I think he was done with "terror" for the day.
My sis had to work Tuesday, so she met us outside the park at Downtown Disney for dinner. We went to The Jazz Cafe and it was so deliciously amazing. I loved every bite of my dinner, Paneed Chicken Bercy...and appetizers, Stuffed Artichoke Hearts...and dessert, Chocolate Bread Pudding with Dark and White Chocolate Ganache. Wow. That sounds so good all over again.
Downtown Disney also has a huge Lego store, so of course, we had to stop there. Adam, Ben and Luke are standing in front of a giant giraffe (so tall we couldn't get his head in the picture) all made of Legos! With all the fun we had, this may have been Ben's favorite attraction of the day!
And this says it all!

Stay tuned for Conlin Chaos Goes to California Episode Five: The Beach Calls and We Answer
Grizzly Rapids was awesome! We all got pretty wet, but both my Mom and Zach got soaked by a big tidal wave at the bottom of this slope. This is Zach, Ben and I. We are facing down the slope, although I SWEAR we were facing backwards down it at the top, but I can't remember spinning around! Freaky. If you can, click on the picture and it might enlarge. The boys look terrified! Ha ha ha! Don't worry, they both said they loved it...later.
While Colleen and Adam were busy screaming their lungs dry on a couple of the "bigger kid" rides, Nana took the boys to the Brother Bear play area. They had a great time!
The reason we really love the Disneyland Theme Parks...chocolate-covered frozen bananas. Dude. I eat at least four every visit. The line for the Heimlich the Caterpillar Train Ride had the coolest giant clovers to give shade on a hot day! The bugs have a pretty amazing "land."
Nana and Zach waiting on the sidelines for the Pixar Play Parade, which was pretty awesome, featuring all the characters from the Disney/Pixar films. There were acrobats, dancers, stilts, and so much more. I am glad we caught it; it had been a long time since I had actually stopped to watch a parade while at the Disney parks. Adam staked us out a great spot while he waited his turn to go on Soarin' Over California (he was out waiting with Luke, who was too short for it). Josh got to be his swap buddy and went on it twice, first with the big group and with Dad again after the Luke-swap. It was only fair since he loved Soarin' (as did we all, we were pretty jealous), and he had been 1/2-inch too short for Grizzly Rapids, which had bummed him out to no end!
Downtown Disney also has a huge Lego store, so of course, we had to stop there. Adam, Ben and Luke are standing in front of a giant giraffe (so tall we couldn't get his head in the picture) all made of Legos! With all the fun we had, this may have been Ben's favorite attraction of the day!
And this says it all!
5 comments:
We stuffed Kolby's shoes so he could go on the rapids ride. Didn't seem fair that he could go on every other crazy ride. We also loved Soar, and the twilight zone was amazing. Next time, go to a play. We saw Aladin and they did such a great job with it.
I love how you have this whole vacation chronicled so beautifully. I had so much to read because I haven't checked in for awhile, but it was so fun to get a good taste of your vacation and to get some fun ideas too! I still feel like our families have a connection from seeing your family adventures!
I must say, that corn dog looks totally yummy!!!
I love being able to vicariously go to these theme parks without having to pay! Haha. What FUN. Everything! My husband (who went to Disneyland almost every year when his family visited) always has raved about those bananas. Yummy!!
I want that corn dog!
Post a Comment